3 die over herbalist concoction in Mangochi: Children battling for life, mistook wild poisonous tubers for fruit

A four year old boy, his elder brother and father have died in Mangochi after they took a herbalist concoction.

Aisha Mambo: They ate poisonous wild tubers.

Aisha Mambo: They ate poisonous wild tubers.

Police identified the deceased as the Daud family.

Mother to the deceased Amina Daudi who took the concoction and survived the death said some thieves broke into the kraal of goats and the herbalist gave the family the concoction which he said would make the goats come back.

However, just minutes after taking it, the family started vomiting and the boy passed on at the scene whilst the father and the brother died at Mangochi District Hospital.

The unidentified herbalist ran away from the scene on the pretext he wanted to buy air time.

He never returned and police are now hunting for him.

Mangochi District Hospital Health Officer William Penu said the deaths were due to poisoning.

In the same district, in Mangochi Mkungulu, three children aged between four to 15 are battling for their lives too at the district hospital after they ate poisonous wild tubers.

MP for the area Aisha Mambo said the children mistook the wild poisonous tubers for local fruit known as cocoa.

Follow and Subscribe Nyasa TV :

Please share this Article if you like Email This Post Email This Post

More From Nyasatimes

More From the World

3 thoughts on “3 die over herbalist concoction in Mangochi: Children battling for life, mistook wild poisonous tubers for fruit”

  1. Ngongoliwa says:

    This is due to starvation, other qtrs. are refusing to accept the reality on the ground

  2. Chaponda says:

    The Malawi laws protects this type of people. Lets get lead of this crooks calling themselves herbalist.

  3. Martin says:

    Time is running out for herbalists in Malawi. Soon or later the angry mob will launch a great war against all witchdoctors…I prophesy this day of 10th June 2016

Comments are closed.