In a dramatic twist turn of events Bullets FC have considered that they are considering to pull out after failing to secure funding for the continental club competition.
Bullets chairperson Kondi Msungama who disclosed last week that they were panicking over funding said they have set February 5 as deadline if no sponsor comes they way.
He told The Nation newspaper that none of the more than 10 corporate companies the club had approached has responded positively.
“We have not yet given up hope but the reality on the ground is that we have not made any headway because by now we would have concluded things such as flight bookings, which we have not as there is no money,” Msungama said.
Asked if he is prepared to take the blame should the ambitious dream fall by the way side the outspoken and ever confident Msungama said: “I do not think anyone can blame me because I have given it my best.
In a related development that could worsen Bullets woes Football Association of Malawi (FAM) said CAF has changed its rules for the competition whereby a visiting teams is supposed to meet all its expenses such as accommodation and meals.
“That is why prior to their decision to enter the tournament, we demanded a US$20,000 (K9.6 million) gurantee to meets the fines imposed by CAF in the even that they withdraw. They still insist that they will make it but we have asked them to give a commitment letter,” FAM General Secretary Suzgo Nyirenda said.
Bullets are supposed to play Comoros Island side Fomboni FC in the first leg on the weekend of February 13 to 15.
The return leg is expected to play played in two weeks time.
FAM president Walter Nyamilandu feared for Bullets financial woes for Bullets in the competition going by how the association has been struggling to raise money for national football team to full assignments.Follow and Subscribe Nyasa TV :