Confident Mwai Kumwenda ready to lead Malawi Queens at Netball World Cup

Malawi Queens towering shooter, Mwai Kumwenda, who became the first player to ply her trade abroad, returned to the Queens after a break is confident and ready to help the team at the Netball World Cup in Sydney, Australia, expected to throw-off on August 7.

Malawi Queens star power Mwai Kumwenda and Sindi Simutiwo- Photo Jeromy Kadewere

Kumwenda told Nyasa Times on Wednesday before the team’s departure for Australia at Chileka Aiport that she is looking forward for a good tournament.

“It feels really good to be back in the squad . I am excited and I am looking forward to play alongside my fellow teammates. A lot has happened but l can assure you that it is water under the bridge,” she told Nyasa Times.

“I am planning on going hard on any team ahead of us, I think that we will probably put an extra gear and we are not going to leave any stone unturned. We know that we can do it (beat most of the teams) we just need to be more confident in ourselves. I am excited and I am ready to go,” Kumwenda stressed.

And according to Kumwenda, her shooting has improved tremendously as she had a wonderful season playing in New Zeland.

“My shooting has improved. I definitely worked on it throughout the season and I am feeling very comfortable. I had a very good season in New Zeland which I gained a lot of experience and I just want to bring that experience to the team and hopefully we can get over the line,” noted Kumwenda.

Meanwhile, President of Netball Association of Malawi Rose Chinunda said she is looking forward to seeing Kumwenda insipiring Malawi at the World Cup in Australia.

“I am happy that Kumwenda is back and is ready to help the team in Australia . I am proud of her achievements in New Zeland as every year she has been getting better and better. I am just glad she is here,” said Chinunda, who has also left with the team.

Malawi Queens captain, Carol Ngwira said the morale is high in camp with the coming in of Kumwenda.

“We missed her in our previous matches, but her presence now has lifted our spirit in camp,” said Ngwira.

Another Queens shooter Sindi Simutowe assured the nation of better results and vowed to upset the tables.

“We are going to Australia on a mission not as tourists. We urge Malawians to keep us in prayers, otherwise we are ready to carry the Malawi flag high,” said Simutowe.

Also present at the Airport to see the team off were Airtel Malawi officials, who are also the sponsors of the team.

Airtel Malawi Public Relations Officer Edith Tsilizani urged the girls to fight for a better position and keep the nation proud.

She said their company will continue bankrolling money to the team as one way of developing netball in the country.

“Go to Australia to make the nation proud. Back home we are behind you and Airtel will always support you in any way,” she said.

20 thoughts on “Confident Mwai Kumwenda ready to lead Malawi Queens at Netball World Cup”

1. Chonde ma officials osasolora-Kuba ma allowance a osewera!!!

2. Theo says:

please, let’s move on. tisayike mdima pa queens. no hate comments please

3. Khonsolo says:

O de best Mfumukazi,im proud of you mo especially Mwai Kumwenda 4 burrying de hutchet.kumeneko nde kukonda dziko lako.Queens mo fire!!!!

4. Chokoma says:

All the Best ma Flameness, MBC TV chonde tapempha tithandizeni kuno kulibe GO tv

5. Kambina says:

Chinunda wati chani……siamene amakhomelera Mwai…stupid woman

6. The Patriot says:

These girls have all the APM cornerstones: hardworking, patriotism and Integrity! Go Queens aand go Mwai, you make us proud!

7. Cc says:

All the best our sisters, alwalys proud of u.

8. Mpasy Wadye says:

Tnchafu plz osakasiya pamumbalambanda akakusiyilani E^2bola pitilani Bola osati Ebola

9. Myao says:

PAJA A CHINUNDA POSITION YAWO NDI ‘CASH ATTACKER ETI’? IWO NDI OFFICIAL NUMBER 6 PA ULENDO UMENEWU MWINA TAKAWINA.

IT’S JUST THAT THERE’RE ONLY 6 COUNTRIES IN THE WORLD WITH ‘REAL’ INTEREST IN NETBALL OTHERWISE ENGLAND, RSA & MALAWI WOULD’VE BATTLING TO GET INTO TOP 10. AND MALAWI NDIMKHALIDWE WAMA OFFICALS APANOWA BWENZI TILI KU MA NUMBER 30>>40.

10. Chipuba Chandi says:

We know u u alwas fight for us go Queens go mor fire konkho ku Aust

11. Mzimba Solola says:

I love the queens simumatichititsa manyazi ndithu koma azibambowa ash! kumangoononga ndalama za boma kusintha ma coach zosathandiza ndithu. Good luck ladys you make us proud. @ No. 9 I have liked your comment. Sometimes its not good that these comments should just end here, you can take the courage and meet Waya or Peace for this good piece advice otherwise anthu timakondana tikakkala pabwino pamavuto ayi.

12. Dr. Ben Phiri, Ph.D.(Cyprus International University,USA) says:

As i had commented before, these girls carry the Malawian flag so high but honestly there is no tangible reward that can meaningfully change there lives apart from just mere fame. Most of them live a really miserable life. This has to change guys. We have seen alot of our stars enjoying maximum celebrity status but they have had miserable ends. Look at the late Lawrence Waya, the mother to Beatrice Mpinganjira, and may of our athletes. Most of them enjoyed these flights and visited many countries on earth but they are living abject poverty. My wish for these girls is that they should start planning life after netball careers. Mr. H. Kachaje should organise free enterpreneural workshops for our girls. Other experts should teach them behavioral change to prevent HIV/AIDS. Otherwise atsikana mudzalira. Many people will love you now but that will not be true love but infatuation. They will follow the empty status, you are enjoying now. Nothing beats a good investment. Best regards, zabwino zonse

13. Eye Witness says:

Mwawi my beautiful girl go go go

14. chindez says:

Go nyasa go we are behind you make us proud there

15. Charter says:

A tourist ku Aus ndi a Chinundawo!

16. Bola Moyo says:

Kunena zoona, Mwai ndimakufuna chibwenzi. Kaya ungandilole kaya? Anyway, I will keep hoping!

17. Think Tank says:

While i have high admiretion for Mwawi,we should also salute Sindi Simtowe for keeping the fire burning in the absence of Mwawi. Together,these two are as lethal as Barcelona Messi and Neymar or Suarez. With good defence,we can conquer the world. Towera does her best,but height betrays her against tall goal attackers and scorers.

18. mkuluzikaneka says:

Put more fire girls,Proud of you.

19. Phiri nyoni says: