Controversy over Chipapapa: Tay Grin denies stealing song from Zika B

Controversy surrounds Tay Grin’s new hit song “Chipapapa” barely a week after its release.

Zika B Pic. from Faceboo

Zika B Pic. from Faceboo

The DJ Sley produced song which features Nigeria’s 2face is currently number three on malawi-music.com top 10 charts.

“It has come to my attention that there’s an alleged theft of the song Chipapapa. A reporter from one of the local print media houses called me on Sunday, alleging there’s a boy  who claims I stole his song titled Chipapapa”, Tay Grin posted on his Facebook page on Sunday.

He went on to say that the development was unfortunate because he wrote the song after DJ Sley had sent him the beat in October last year and 2Baba wrote his part.

“I’ve never heard of or met this boy or heard his alleged track. Let me set the record straight, I’d never steal someone’s song or work. Look out for more bangers coming! ‪#‎2016goals,” stressed the Nyau Music rapper.

According to reports, Lilongwe based up and coming rapper Zika B claims that producer Marcus of Dare Devils made the beat and sold it to DJ Sley who later sold it to Tay Grin.

However, Marcus denied the claims saying he never sold the beat and both songs have different concepts altogether.

“Zika B sent me the beat through WhatsApp, it sounded like a demo so I told him that I will try to remix it out of good will,” Marcus said in an interview on Monday.

He then pointed out that the only similarity between the two songs is kids singing on the chorus.

“Zika B’s song is a crunk beat totally different from Tay’s. To be honest with you, I just started seeing Tay’s Chipapapa artwork two weeks ago next thing I heard it was out. There has been no communication between me and Tay or DJ Sley,” he explained.

According to Marcus, although he produced the beat he couldn’t even play the song on his Joy radio show because the Zika B song was not well coordinated, not airplay material.

In his remarks, DJ Sley said the beat was made from scratch and Tay Grin came up with the concept after getting the beat.

“I believe the kid is just seeking attention, after all, “Chipapapa” is a folk song and nobody can claim ownership. However, everyone is entitled to their opinion. He can say whatever he wants but he won’t benefit anything,” emphasized DJ Sley.

According to Malawi-music.com, Zika-B, real name Stanley Zikabuma,started music in 2010 and went official in 2013. He was working on his mixtape “Kubooleza” which was scheduled for December release.

He has already worked with some artists like Saint, Sanjie, Jay Jay Cee and Piksy.

Zika B could not be reached to comment.

16 thoughts on “Controversy over Chipapapa: Tay Grin denies stealing song from Zika B”

1. Clement says:

hahahahh u little kid work hard,en keep dreaming. this is not the best way of trying to get people know u.Its just unfrotunate kut sinditha kutukwana.Big up Grin

2. elliot says:

taygrin amatha iye amayimba zachimalawi zenizeni gule wamkulu big up osati enewa amafuna ayimbe ngati aku Nigeria

3. frank masese says:

cheap propaganda big up tie

4. clement Lihonga says:

iwe ndi dhillu grin umatha….keep fire burning love u wt ur music

5. clement says:

umatha grin maflu

6. victor says:

tay grin,big up.u an an elite malawian who put our flat up musically.all these talks are from people who cant reach your feat.even wizkid,cassper,AKA have all had people who have tried to pull them down from originality of there music to their personal life.You must be smilling by now-thats how it feels to be on the top.big up.

7. joelmose says:

Malawi music is crap and you start scrambling for this crap have a life people

8. Tay fan (Johannesburg) says:

Then your thaught miss lead you pussy, how can you say tht to my favorite artist, Tay got everything if u don’t know, let me tell you I watched him live one of his performance he got energetic on stage and even he has talent too, so what re u saying bitch?? leave Tay Grin a lone if you don’t like him personally that is yr business, Tay #2016goals..

9. wellihno says:

Tay grin amazikakamiza zinthuzi fine he has connections, he is organised but talent wise he is not supposed to do music. In the song chipapapa his part is so robotic ie the vocals aint flowing naturally on the other hand 2baba ‘s part is short yet one can tell he is a natural yes amaimba kkkk but not convincingly, most of his songs are re-dos chitedze, kumanda kwabambo all those are folkroles come up with original compositions.

10. joelmose says:

Malawi music crap

11. Malawian says:

Where is Dr. Jean Kalirani? Is she still a cabinet Minister? Why is she quite like this?

12. Amahefu anyamatawakukaya says:

Malawi music.com kkkkkk everyone connected to this is a cashgater, I see no good reason saying
    1 I got it from DJ Sley on whatsapp
    2 Chipapa is is not a song that one claims ownership
    3 Similarities kids are playing in the song
    Shame to you tyglin because no one can just rise and say that… no learn to come up with your own tarent or else do othr things not music (after all you are complaining of piracy and yet you are the ring leader) With immidiate effect i have stopped listening your songs

13. daniel says:

Dodu how did this happen, I have to know how this gay did it.

14. ZAITHWA says:

SOMETIMES ITS HARD TO UNDERSTAND HOW DID HE STOLE THE SONG?

15. side-guy says:

Tay grin says he never steals songs? isn’t that the same reason that ignited beef with Lomwe? am not saying he has stolen the chipapapa song

16. Bwande says:

It has always been my thought that this Tay Grin guy is among that bunch of cosmetic artists with little or no talent at all. Singing over the many folk songs is a sign of lack of talent to create something new out of the box by themselves