Supporters from two Blantyre based local soccer power houses Nyasa Big Bullets and Mighty Be Forward have written Blantyre Police among other relevant authorities seeking permission to hold peaceful march protest again the decision by Football Association of Malawi (FAM) to have Kamuzu Stadium closed on safety grounds.
This follows an announcement by FAM last week the stadium will not be allowed to host competative matches.
According to a statement the two giants have jointly released, they intend to go on the streets on Thursday 4th May 2017.
The two sides argue that the decision is ill-timed since the league is expected to commence this weekend and that the league governing body Super League of Malawi (Sulom) already released the first round fixtures in which Kamuzu stadium is appearing.
It is also argued that it will be a burden for Blantyre teams to play outside the city since they will spend beyond their respective budgets.
According to one of the organisers of the protests Mabvuto Chibambo of Nyasa Big Bullets camp, said they will do everthing to force FAM to rescend its decision.
He accused the Malawi FA of wasting precious time during the off season break to maintain the oldest and biggest venues in the country.
Commenting on the same, former Bullets General Secretary and soccer analyst Kelvin Moyo also faulted FAM for poor timing.
He also advised FAM to conduct continuous assessment of venues.
“Stadium assessment should be a continuous process not an off season exercise, priority is always safety. Where was the FA since January when season was on break? Did they have to wait for Sulom to come up with the fixture?” wondered Moyo.
He further said problems Malawi football faces are man made and erupts because of the fight that is always there between FAM and Sulom.
“We always have conflict because we don’t want to embrace change” Moyo observed.Follow and Subscribe Nyasa TV :