Sombre mood swallowed up people of Mgawi Village in Kasungu District Thursday after fire burnt to death a six-year-old girl.
The deceased, Agnes Phiri, was playing with three friends inside a make shift shelter made of grass when it was caught by accidental fire.
“It was around 1600hrs when the four children were playing in the temporary shelter. They set fire to cook food unfortunately the shelter accidentally caught fire,” Burton Mathewe, assistant spokesperson for Kasungu Police told Nyasa Times.
Mathewe said villagers were surprised with the concentrated smoke from the shelter and when they rushed to the scene they only managed to rescue the three while Agnes was already dead.
Hospital postmortem revealed the death was due to suffocation and burnt wounds while the other three surviving children were all treated as out patients.
“We advise parents and guardians to always take closer supervision on their children and tell them to refrain from dubious acts which can endanger their lives,” said Mathewe.
The late Phiri hailed from Mgawi Village, Traditional Authority Kawamba in the district.Follow and Subscribe Nyasa TV :