Blantyre Magistrates Court on Friday sentenced to eight months imprisonment two men arrested last month for allegedly abducting and forced a 12-year old boy into an initiation ceremony (Jando) where he was circumcised.
The two, Helton Robin 28 years old and Dave James 19, both hailing from Mpagaja village T/A Somba in Blantyre had pleaded guilty to the unlawful wounding but denied the abduction charge.
Blantyre Police Public Relations Officer, Elizabeth Divala said the two will be back in court on September 23rd for the trial on abduction charge.
Boy (name withheld) was abducted on 11 August, 2014 in Manase Township and was forced into Jando initiation ceremony before police came to his rescue.
“The matter was reported by the boy’s mother. Our officers managed to negotiate for the release of the boy who was later admitted to Queen Elizabeth Central Hospital (QECH) but now is discharged,” Divala told Nyasa Times.
Private practice lawyer Zwelithini Chipembere decried the practice, saying “Those who forced circumcision on the boy have to pay the price. This is total abuse of human rights. No one should be forced to be circumcised.”