Kalikuti Hotel blames ESCOM faulty wires for causing fire

The fire that gutted Kalikuti Hotel in Lilongwe last Friday may have been caused by faulty electric wires which sparked to start the fire, hotel manager has said.

Lilongwe City Fire Engine could not contain the fire

Lilongwe City Fire Engine could not contain the fire

Misuchi Msumba, the hotel manager, said the fire had then gotten to all the furniture from the collision of Electricity Supply Corporation of Malawi (ESCOM) wires.

He said  when it was noticed  all workers tried to put it out until when  they sought the services Lilongwe City Fire Fighters.

“The fire emanated from wire which collided and sparked all through to the other areas,” said Msumba.

The fire started at around 11pm on Friday , October 31 and by midnight, everything on the hotel’s northern wing, which comprise the reception, conference halls, restaurant, bar and other facilities had been destroyed.

More than two-dozen residents escaped with their lives — but none of their possessions — after the hotel was destroyed by fire.

Guests had to scramble from their beds and leave the smoke-filled hotel . The building was safely evacuated

ESCOM is yet comment on the incident.

Goods worth millions of Kwachas were destroyed but the hotel is yet  to assess the damage.

Follow and Subscribe Nyasa TV :

Please share this Article if you like Email This Post Email This Post

More From Nyasatimes

More From the World

3 thoughts on “Kalikuti Hotel blames ESCOM faulty wires for causing fire”

  1. o says:

    The truth is that Kalikuti appeared on the list of condemned hotels in the list that was produced by the Tourist Board last month. It should not have been operating at the time of the fire. It was operating illegally and the owners should be prosecuted. Those who lost possessions should demand compensation from Kalikuti.
    Other condemned hotels should learn lessons.

  2. Ulesi ndi minyama, cashgate ndi ugalu says:

    I am not convinced, how did escom power lines collide. Can the report include a weather observation from the nearby met station as to whether there was a storm at the time. Or did a tree topple and fall on the cables?

    Misoji should just accept that the fault was inside the hotel and not a result of overhead cables. Which could be as a result of use of low standard cheap wiring materials.

    Musamagule katundu wa fake wamachinese, amwenye maburundi ndi manigera (ma Ibo). Mukulowetsa nazo chitukuko chadziko lathu pansi.

  3. matama says:

    Nyasatimes u like telling lies, did you really interview the right person, there in no misuchi at kalikuti, and in case you are talking about misoji, she is a lady and not a he as stipulated in your article

Comments are closed.