Malawi backs India for UN Security Council seat: Mutharika for reforms

Malawi has backed India’s candidature for a permanent seat in UN Security Council after Malawi President Peter Mutharika added his voice to the calls for reforming and restructuring of the Council in order to resolve conflicts surrounding Middle East and African nations.

Mutharika: For reforms in UN security council

Mutharika: For reforms in UN security council

In his address at the 70th United Nations (UN) general assembly in New York, last month, Mutharika commented on reforming the UN Security Council, saying he has closely monitored the intergovernmental negotiations on how the Security Council can be reformed to make it more representative, effective, transparent and accountable to all.

He called for wider reforms of the UN Security Council and urged peace missions to focus on political solutions and conflict prevention.

According to a report by Press Trust of India (PTI), Malawi and most African nations have backed India candidature calling UN to allow more representation of countries through permanent and non-permanent membership at the Council, thereby keeping with the changed times.

India’s Foreign minister Sushma Swaraj on Tuesday called on Africa to join hands with India to put in place more democratic global governance structures as she demanded the inclusion of India and representatives of Africa in a revamped UN Security Council.

Speaking at the India-Africa foreign ministers’ meeting in New Delhi, Swaraj also called for a “regular review mechanism” to evaluate the efficacy of implementation of various programmes launched by India at the bilateral, regional and pan-African levels.

The foreign ministers’ meet aims to set the stage for the third India-Africa summit that is to take place on Thursday. The summit is billed as the biggest gathering of foreign dignitaries in New Delhi since the 1983 Non-Aligned Summit. Previous India-Africa summits—the first in New Delhi in 2008 and the second in Addis Ababa in 2011—were smaller events, with India and representatives of select African countries participating.

Making a strong case for the reform of the UN Security Council, Swaraj asked: “How can we expect legitimacy from a governance structure that excludes the entire African continent and a country which represents one-sixth of humanity?”

“India and Africa can no longer be excluded from their rightful place of the permanent membership of the UN Security Council,” she said, PTI reported.

India has been campaigning for a permanent seat in a reformed UN Security Council for many years. It has joined hands with Germany, Japan and Brazil to form a pressure group to push forward the reforms process but so far the grouping has met with little success.

The UN Security Council consists of five permanent members— US, UK, France, China and Russia—and 10 non-permanent members who are elected for a rotating two-year term.

13 thoughts on “Malawi backs India for UN Security Council seat: Mutharika for reforms”

1. Jonathan says:

Malawi if this ll solve our problems we currently have let it be but if not thats means we are dull on our personality coz we can’t be busy helping our friends while we are still dormant on our evryday life.look other problems not this ones..this bothers those who started them.think wise

2. Myopic Malaw says:

Even with the Great Ngwazi, Malawians were so myopic to see the right thing. We opted to support the White Apartheid Government over our own fellow black African cause for democracy. Now it’s haunting us over 40yrs after, we cannot win any negotiations/ battle over our own Lake Malawi with Tanzania because the ANC led government will always be supporting our neighbour. Why? Julius Nyerere made the right option by supporting our fellow blacks, of course posthumously. He even accommodated them in TZ. It seems it’s another deja vu with the Indian-UN scenario. It is not good to be poor. Dzuka Malawi, (in a good way) osati za wina wa fake tidye nawo winawache paphya tonola!!!

3. Prison Warden says:

Why are France and UK still holding permanent seats? Because they took part in some war long ago? Those two are dinosaurs. No longer relevant in today’s world. Let’s have Ghana or South Africa there.

4. Dear Sir/Madam, Namasthe! My heartfelt thanks to all Hon’ble leaders (Govt. and NGOs including those of all religious institutions/missionaries) and their staffs for participating at India-Africa Forum Summit 2015 and sharing their valuable insights, thoughts and experiences. My earnest thanks to everyone else who actively participated at the event. I am glad and appreciate even those passive audiences who attended the event. Many thanks to all those organizing and promoting this event and I assure you definitely there will be greater audience in future. It helps ordinary people like us understand how important these kinds of events are for stability, peace, progress and prosperity of all the countries involved.

I am not a UNO researcher/expert but I wholeheartedly felt it is my duty as a human being to submit this comment. I apologize in advance if your feelings are hurt. I am open for criticisms, correction and feedback.

The membership to UNSC should not be decided by
    1. The amount of wealth a nation is donating to UNSC for peace-keeping.
    2. Donation of the man-power and other resources to UNSC for peace-keeping purposes.

It should not be decided by the factors above because the above resources (including wealth) are already available with the existing Permanent Members of UNSC. If the next nation that joins is also like them, then there is one more on “the bully team” bullying other nations for their personal gains.

Then can we have 10 members? ….Its sounds to me like let’s make the entire world Permanent members of UNSC.

The intent of Permanent members in UNSC should be to bring balance in power at UNSC so that the under-developed nations (politically, human-rights, Earth-exploitation (pollution, global-warming) etc. raise up to the level of Permanent members of UNSC and not just look up to them.

I wish at least one of the following two nations become a Permanent member in United Nations Security Council before India becomes a permanent member in UNSC.
    1. One African Nation
    2. One Islamic nation

For instance, South Africa understands racial & political anomalies better than India. They also live much closer to nature than modern Indians. They would be able to better negotiate
    1. between belligerent nations of Africa & Middle-east
    2. Between racial enemies like China & USA, China & India etc.
    3. Stand firmly against religious terrorism across borders and around the world.
    4. Earth-exploitation (pollution, global-warming) etc.

For instance, Saudi Arabia understands religious, racial and political anomalies in the world much better than India. They would be able to better negotiate
    1. With nations involving religious differences like Indonesia, Sudan, Syria, Pakistan, Palestine etc.
    2. Take firm actions against Islamic terrorism(Yemen) & Islamic nations(Iraq) as evident from their history.

There may be other nations worthy in both African nations and Islamic nations to be represented for permanent seat in UNSC. Please kindly vote for one from them. Better still, if that sixth nation is both African & Secular nation with majority of people who are Muslims.

Personally, I pray and wish India strive to be the Seventh member of United Nations Security Council. The Eighth Nation that will join United Nations Security Council would be God/Allah/Bhagvan/Kalima Himself/Herself! (Whatever name you call in your language, your religion)

I am not affiliated with any religion, any caste, any race or any political party; however I would say everyone who has empathy, patience, love and compassion is divine born. Such a person cherishes life. Everyone who comes to know the value of life is for peace. And where there is peace, there is hope for the living. When there is hope every member of community (city/state/country) strives for its prosperity.

The modern world is faced with grave challenges of more poverty, malnutrition, pollution, dirty politics, parasitic economies, misguided proselytization/religious terrorism, adverse climate changes and Global warming. Let’s humbly meditate and introspect

“Do we, even now in 21st century, fight amongst ourselves and try tearing Mother Earth apart or we now vow to stitch a new garment of Peace for her?”

I hope all privileged travel around the globe and know the planet in which they live. I wish they not only enjoy their trips but also advise/teach their fellow human beings their experiences/wisdom (old & new) for peace, progress, harmony and prosperity of not only their countries but the entire world. (Given a chance, like you, they are also keen, highly adaptive and always refine themselves!)

By proliferating electricity and Internet, let’s strengthen ties between all “human beings” on earth and make the world one big global village. Personally, I pray the imaginary walls fall between the different peoples of the entire world!

Once again, please kindly forgive me if I said anything incorrect and wrong or hurt your feelings! I am not a UNO researcher/expert but I wholeheartedly felt it is my duty as a human being to submit this comment. I am open for criticisms/corrections/feedback. Also due to time constraints, please kindly forgive my Indlish mistakes too! I will correct my Indlish mistakes as time permits!

Satyameva Jayathe,
    Kal Gandikota
    Note: I am not affiliated with any political party or any religion and I have no interest in starting one! I am not paid to comment. Also, please do not use my comment for making your decisions. I am not responsible for any losses you incur just as you would not share with me your profits. I made this comment so I get replies to educate myself. Before some mischievous people hack my comment, copy To
    1. All Political Parties of India, Pakistan and the world
    2. Tribes of India, Pakistan and the world
    3. NGOs(including religious missionaries) of the world
    4. Naxalites and other Revolutionaries in India, Pakistan and the world
    5. Newspapers of India, Pakistan and the world
    6. Translators of all languages of the universe
    7. All sapient beings of the universe
    8. All sentient beings of the universe

5. Zakutu basi India is not in your league Baba and it doesn’t need your backing let the big guns sort themselves out, just because they let you talk at the UN then you think that your voice matters in this world shame. Everyday Peter proves that Bingo was the smart one.

6. Sapitwa says:

No problem

7. political analyst says:

UN is a toothless bulldog big countries such as US,UK etc.. do not respect international laws in short UN is useless. the so called UNSC has failed to prevent wars that the west started fourty years ago under the guise of exporting democracy. look at Afghanistan, Iraq, Lybia they are all failed States because of the west with their democracy.

8. His Excellency the Life President Wolemekezeka Mkango Lion Chivomorezi Chisokonezo Manthakanjenjemereza says:

You would have backed Iran, Afghanistan, Cuba, North Korea and Vietnam not India . Amwenye ngozunza kwambiri.

9. Mbiyazodooka says:

I would rather you supported Nigeria or South Africa as an African representative then Brazil as the South American representative so that all the major continents are represented on the UNSC.

10. mtate mike rsa says:

U must be astupid president after the indians fuck you with the index finger and then they will fuck your ass

11. Africa says:

Mr president why not support one of Africa country to get permanent seat in UNSC? But your to support India to become member of UNSC, Weak up my Africa

12. Peter27 says:

Aaaaaah now it makes sense. China gives you “free” aid, you jump wherever/whatever they say! Very cute!

13. Patriot says:

Za zi.
    Useless executive arm of gouvernment.