Malawi gears up to host Africa netball championship: Renovates Blantyre Youth Centre

Malawi’s preparations to host Africa netball championship in June took on Monday with renovations of the country’s netball arena, Blantyre Youth Centre.

The renovations started on Monday with the two courts at the centre have been demolished and new courts will be constructed.

Malawi National Council of Sports executive secretary George Jana disclosed that the renovations would cost about K9 million.

Netball Association of Malawi (Nam) general secretary Carol Bapu said the association was impressed with the pace of the work.

“Everything is going on well. We will be ready in good time,” she told Nyasa Times.

Work in progress: Blantyre Youth Centre

Work in progress: Blantyre Youth Centre

Bapu said the contractors had assured them that the work would be done in two weeks.

The Nam general secretary appealed to the corporate world to assist in the preparations for the tournament.

“Government has done its part, but the corporate world can also help us,” she said.

Malawi are the defending champions of the tournament and they will be joined by nine countries in this year’s edition.

The six-day tournament will attract big netball countries such as Malawi Queens’ bitter rivals South Africa.

Meanwhile, the Queens are expected to go into camp in the first week of June.

Minister of Sports Enock Chihana’s recommended for the renovations of the centre after visiting it last month.

The tournament starts on June 24.

Follow and Subscribe Nyasa TV :

Please share this Article if you like Email This Post Email This Post

More From Nyasatimes

More From the World

Comments are closed.