Malawi govt warned against illegal spending, opposition say ‘somebody will answer one day’

Opposition Malawi Congress Party (MCP) and the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) have warned the Joyce Banda administration against spending extra money illegally after Minister of Finance Ken Lipenga on Thursday withdrew the Mid-Term Budget Supplementary Bill.

Lipenga, whose credibility as the country’s purse keeper is questionable,  told a news conference Thursday evening that  the Mid-Term Budget Supplementary Bill may be brought back to Parliament next week, and not June as earlier stated.

He explained that the withdrawal of the Budget Bill, asking Parliament to approve K68 billion (about $188.9 million)additional spending in the current fiscal year, had been necessitated by the need to rework budget estimates following the dismantling of some votes after giving civil servants a pay rise.

But opposition warned government against spending illegally , saying no matter how long it will take, one will be answerable for such misconduct.

Dausi:One will be answerable

Dausi:One will be answerable

“One day somebody will answer for this,” said DPP spokesperson Nicholas Dausi.

While MCP spokesperson Jolly Kalelo said government should be aware that the money it is spending belongs to taxpayers; hence, should be spent according to the laws of the land.

Follow and Subscribe Nyasa TV :

Please share this Article if you like Email This Post Email This Post

More From Nyasatimes

More From the World

Comments are closed.