Malawi man spray-paint attack in South Africa

A court in South Africa on Thursday heard from police how Malawian father of four was beaten senseless last Wednesday, allegedly by two men who forced him to strip naked, soaked him in paint thinners and then sprayed his entire body with white enamel car paint.

Bilaz Asan, who was attacked and painted white sits in a wheelchair at the Northdale hospital. –Photo by Amil Umraw, The Witness

Spray-paint victim Bilaz Asan. photo by Jonathan Burton, The Witness

Spray-paint victim Bilaz Asan. photo by Jonathan Burton, The Witness

The wounds on Bilaz Asan’s body may be healing, but he says the road to forgiving his attackers is going to be a long one.

Detective Constable Skhumbuso Ngcobo was testifying before Magistrate Ashin Singh Pietermaritzburg Magistrate’s Court how  the Malawian was allegedly beaten with axes and tools, stripped naked and spray-painted with white enamel paint with the use of a compressor.

The two men  – Shadrack Wayne Naidoo, 28, and Avikar Lutchman, 27, are accused of the aggravated assault and attempted murder of the Malawian on 7 January.

Police asked the court to reject their bail bid.

The court adjourned the applications to 29 January to hear evidence on Asan’s state.

Meanwhile, Asan said although he is grateful that the two men have been arrested for the attack, he said he will never forget the torture and humiliation he endured, allegedly at their hands.

Dispute over payment

The 37-year-old panel beater said everything was going smoothly at work until two men walked into his place of employment on Violet Road in Northdale.

“There was a dispute over payment and they beat up the mechanic who was working on their vehicle, and then turned to me,” alleged Asan, speaking from his cramped room in Haniville.

He said he was confused over why the axe-wielding men allegedly began hitting him all over his body.

“I was crying and screaming for help, but no one came to help me,” said Asan.

The beating continued and just when he thought his attackers were done, they allegedly forced him to take his clothes off.

“They poured paint thinners on my body and I felt like I was on fire.

“They then went for the air compressor and sprayed paint all over my body,” he said.

‘I ran for my life’

A neighbour heard the commotion came to assist, but he too was allegedly beaten.

“I tried to run away, I even climbed on the roof, but they came after me and continued to beat me. I thought they were going to kill me,” said Asan.

Another neighbour came to assist and that’s when “I ran for my life”, said Asan.

He bumped into his colleague Sam Abdulsamad, 30, who rushed him to Northdale Hospital, where he was treated for his injuries.

“The nurses tried to remove the paint, but they couldn’t, so they told me to go home.

“When we got home, Sam came and helped me scrape the paint off using his nails. It was painful, but I couldn’t cry because I am a man,” said Asan.

Ridiculed

He said he was glad the paint was finally off because he was tired of being ridiculed by members of his community.

“Neighbours were looking into my window, wanting to see what I looked like; they all felt sorry for me. Even though the paint is gone, my body is still burning from the thinners,” said Asan, who is still nursing his many wounds.

Asked about how he felt about his attackers, Asan said: “It was a near-death experience and I want them to be punished for what they did to me.

“I will never forget that moment for as long as I live,” he said.

Nevertheless, he was grateful to be alive and thanked those who had supported him.

“Thank you to everyone and to the police for making arrests. I am really grateful,” said Asan.

Asan was rushed to Northdale Hospital after the paint hardened on his body and glued his lips together.

He was discharged on 9 January after doctors and nurses managed to remove paint from his nose, around his eyes and other sensitive parts.--Sources: Sapa, The Witness, News24

33 thoughts on “Malawi man spray-paint attack in South Africa”

1. johan says:

Yes I am a msungu and proud.

2. johan says:

the truth is that asians committed this crime,no “BOER ‘s “were involved
    I am a proud Boer, and in the same time love Malawi from Karonga to Zomba and in between Chikangawa,Limbe,Blantyre Area 47,Kazungu etc etc, do not comment if u dont have facts.
    rgds

3. son says:

I was in rsa for 15yrs but each time I visit mw my bro and sis those who know me always ask to come with me,bt I was advice the bother to com rsa is nt easy country to live in,some of them the wil stop working in mw and work as garden boy in sa,if u adv them dont go to sa the wil ask u why yourself ur ther

4. chandiona says:

why is kayelekera coming in this story? i think some of these comment are just stupid, sorry my frient for the pain you have gone through thank God thay you ate leaving why don’t you come home and for your information home is best.

5. concerned citizen says:

Bwerani kukayelekera mudzaone. This is what south African boers ill treat malawians. Amalawi vuto ndi loti ndi anthu opusa. They don’t speak out. I tell you life at kayelekera is a prison life.

6. Nkhwanjee! says:

Akulu mkachira mubwerere kaye ku Mudzi, Jonitu yavuta yapa. I think you can also do better Mechanic work at home, there are more cars now. We need your skills in Malawi.
    Asiyilenidziko lawolo akuwona ngati iwowo ndi opambana. Mulungu akuona.

7. faines says:

Was just praying his name doesn’t sound tumbuka. Tikanamva mitudzu and mnyozo apa. Koma poti ndi mchawa anthu kumva chisoni. All the same feel better soon friend.

8. kauniuni says:

I just hate south africa.

9. Mhesia says:

The Boers like doing that…white-painting is commonly practiced by the extreme white minority racists on Africans. There was also a small black South Africa girl who was allegedly caught picking/stealing chocolates in a white-owned supermarket, the punishment opted by these Boers was white painting the little girl. The story sparked a lot of debate and fury as many people believed it was an issue of race not mere theft.

10. PEPANI NDITHU, ANTHU ENA ANABADWA NGATI MIMBULU KAPENA MIKANGO, KU JONI ANTHU AKE ANAZOLOWELA ZA SHAKA ZULU NDI UCHIBUNI, MITIMA YOIPA ZEDI.
    KU MALAWI NAKO ANTHU OTEREWO ALIKO NDITHU AMAPANGA AZO ZOTEROZO ZAKHALA ZIKUCHITIKA KU MZUZU, KARONGA, RUPHI, MZIMBA, NKHOTA-KOTA, SALIMA, LILONGWE, DOWA, DEDZA,MCHINJI,BALAKA,MULANJE,THYOLO,BLANTYRE, ZOMBA,CHILAZULU,,MANGOCHI, NDI MA BOMA ENA, KOMA OSAIWALANSO ZOMWE ZINACHITIKA KU MONKEY-BAY, PAMENE ANTHU AMBIRI ANACHITIDWA ZIPONGWE ENA PAFUPI KUTAWA MOYO WAO ——————ZACHITSONI IZI, MOYO OIPA ZEDI, A MALAWI TISATENGERE ZA MAIKO ENA, TIYENI TIKHALA A MALAWI OKONDANA.

GOD BE WITH US ALL AND BLESS.

1. 0881239916 says:

Chahaya icho katchili

11. opportunist says:

That is why i will never stay in South Africa becoz of their barbaric behavior

12. Bulu waKuda says:

Bweraniko kumeko kwakulakani.

13. Lucia wa Kandulu says:

Did you know South Africans are not Africans lol

14. Khelozie says:

So bad but I understand the situation of this man anathawa umphawi ku Malawi

15. Greencardless Malawian says:

I dont understand why Malawians like this stupid country

16. Thax to Almight God because he is still alive. To the gungs God forgive them for torturing a man without reason.

17. KING SOLOMONS PALACE says:

TO THESE THUGS BEATING FELLOW AFRICANS IN SOUTH AFRICA I FEEL THEY DO NOT KNOW HOW MUCH HOSPITALITY SOUTH AFRICANS RECEIVED FROM NEIBORS DURIN APATHEID. AT 27 AND 28 YRS OF AGE THEY MUST HAVE KNOWN THIS HISTORY IF THEY HAV BEEN2 SCHUL.PLS COURTS PUNISH THEM FULLY.THIS IS ATEMPTED MURDER

18. Poca Mezaia says:

South Africa has always been one of the countries in Africa that I hate with passion. Its reach, yes but from leaders to local people all are just hooligans… Better I die of poverty while working for Mulli brothers other than serving in South African hell

19. Taelos says:

These south africans are not civilised till now,full of crimes & nationalism

20. Yakwiya ndi mizimu kuno ku mudzi

21. zandile says:

The only consolation in South Africa is that the judges are better than those in Malawi. These guys will face long jail sentences because they have been charged with attempted murder. Not in Malawi where judges give two years for serious of fences.

22. shop says:

uchitsiru mumawona ngati kuti ndinu fuul? home is best!

23. too bad may the good lord give u aquick recoveR and also punish all those who did tha evil to you plz

24. Kambodya says:

It is so sad, to actually, mishandle an innocent person, for no apparent reason. Hence, its good, to return home, becouse, home is always the best. Amen

25. Ntchona says:

Kalanga ine nanga m’mene Malawi alilimu ndie nkutani? Poti nanga Malawi waola dzulo tinanva izo,lelo tanva izi,mawa tinva zina nkhani zake zolephela ndi zonyansa zokha-zokha,enanso ochita atsogoleli amene, mayo ine!!!!!!!!!!!!

26. True patriot says:

Love your neighbour,as you love yourself.God is watching.

1. Bongololo says:

Achimwene, God is not watching or this ugly incident as well as all bad things in the world would not happen in the first place.

2. Eliam says:

@True patriot u r better off bc0z u believe in God as most malawians do. Iwuld lyk 2 let u knw that most of the people in developed countries dnt believe in God. Only poor countries do that.

27. Prophet says:

Zibwelani simudaphe munthu abale alipo,tizizazionela limodzi kuno.

28. Reasonable Man says:

eyyyyy!

29. Chikadzakuwani says:

Anthu ena ndi amfiti ndithu. Siufiti umeneu. Malume pepani kwambiri anthuwa akutiyesa ife dzitsiru mwina

30. apao says:

That’s how south African good at, bad. Payers but they want their work must be done, in long run your life is there and uwill work again, wishing you qk recovery brass,