Malawi President Peter Mutharika began a widely-anticipated reshuffle of his cabinet on Friday, moving Atupele Muluzi, Paul Chibingu and Bright Msaka.
Most ministers in their portfolios including those of finance, foreign affairs, justice, and Information,Tourism and Culture were retained .
In the minor cabinet reorganisation, President Mutharika has moved United Democratic Front (UDF) president Atupele Muluzi from Natural Resources, Energy and Mining to become the new Minister of Home Affairs and Internal Security.
Muluzi has replaced Paul Chibingu who has been moved to become Minister of Lands, Housing and Urban Development which was held by Bright Msaka.
Msaka has replaced Muluzi at Natural Resources, Energy and Mining.
“His Excellency the State President, Professor Arthur Peter Mutharika, in exercise of the powers conferred upon him by Section 94 (1) of the Constitution of the Republic of Malawi, has made some changes to the Cabinet with effect from Friday, 10th April, 2015,” a statement from government chief secretary George Mkondiwa mada available to Nyasa Times said.
The President has maintained a lean cabinet of 20 including deputies.
The new Cabinet is as follows:-
- 1.State President, Minister of Defence and Commander-In- Chief of the Malawi Defence Force and the Malawi Police Service:His Excellency Professor Arthur Peter Mutharika
- Vice President and MinisterResponsible for Disaster and Relief Management, National Public Events and Chairperson of the Civil Service andPublic Service Reform Commission: Right Honourable Saulos Klaus Chilima
- Minister of Finance, Economic Planning and Development: Honourable Goodall Gondwe
- Minister of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation: Honourable George Chaponda, M.P.
- Minister of Labour and Manpower Development: Honourable Henry Mussa, M.P.
- Minister of Health:Honourable Dr.Jean Kalilani, M.P.
- Minister of Gender,Children,Disability and Social Welfare: Honourable Patricia Kaliati, M.P.
- Minister of Home Affairs and Internal Security:Honourable Atupele Muluzi, M.P.
- Minister of Justice and Constitutional Affairs:Honourable Samuel Tembenu
- 10.Minister of Information,Tourism and Culture: Honourable Kondwani Nankhumwa, M.P.
- 11.Minister of Natural Resources,Energy and Mining: Honourable Bright Msaka, S.C.
- Minister of Agriculture,Irrigation and Water Development: Honourable Dr. Allan Chiyembekeza,M.P.
- Minister of Industry and Trade: Mwanamveka,M.P. HonourableJoseph
- Minister of Lands, Housing and Urban Development: Honourable Paul Chibingu, M.P.
- Ministry of Transport and Public Works:Honourable Francis Kasaila, M.P.
- Minister of Education, Science and Technology: Honourable Dr.Emmanuel Fabiano, M.P.
- Minister of Local Government and Rural Development: Honourable Trasizio Gowelo, M.P.
- Minister of Youth and Sports Development:Honourable Grace Obama Chiumia,M.P.
- 19.Deputy Minister of Education, Science and Technology: Honourable Vincent Winstone Ghambi,M.P.
- 20.Deputy Minister of Defence:Honourable Jappie Mhango, M.P.