President Peter Mutharika has reshuffled his Cabinet, dropping Minister of Lands, Housing and Urban Development Paul Chibingu, M.P and Minister of Local Government and Rural Development Tarcicius Gowelo, MP after weeks of speculation about corrupt practises.
Most ministers in their portfolios including those of finance, education, foreign affairs, justice, and gender were retained .
In the cabinet reorganisation, President Mutharika has moved Dr Jean Kalilani from Ministry of Health to be Minister of Home Affairs and Internal Security replacing United Democratic Front (UDF) president Atupele Muluzi who is now Minister of Lands, Housing and Urban Development.
The new Minister of Health is cabinet debutant Dr. Peter Kampalume, MP a close ally of President’s communication and strategy aide, Bright Malopa.
Mutharika has also changed the government spokesman garrulous Kondwani Nankhumwa, appointing Jappie Mhango as the new Minister of Information, Tourism and Civic Education. Nankhumwa has been moved to become Minister of Local Government and Rural Development.
Mutharika has also appointed new deputy minister, Malison Ndau at defence.
“His Excellency the State President, Professor Arthur Peter Mutharika, in exercise of the powers conferred upon him by Section 94 (1) of the Constitution of the Republic of Malawi, has made some changes to the Cabinet with effect from today, 17th August, 2015,” a statement from government chief secretary George Mkondiwa mada available to Nyasa Times said.
This is the second time Mutharika has reshuffled his cabinet since winning the May 20 2014 tripartite elections.
The President has maintained a lean cabinet of 20 including deputies.
Following is the full list:
- State President, Minister of Defence and Commander-In-Chief of the Malawi Defence Force and the Malawi Police Service: His Excellency Professor Arthur Peter Mutharika.
- Vice President and Minister Responsible for Disaster and Relief Management, Public Events and Chairperson, Civil Service and Public Service reform Commission: Right Honourable Dr Saulos Klaus Chilima.
- Minister of Finance and Economic Development: Honourable Goodall Gondwe.
- Minister of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation: Honourable Dr George Chaponda, M.P.
- Minister of Labour, Youth and Manpower Development: Honourable Henry Mussa, M.P.
- Minister of Home Affairs and Internal Security: Honourable Dr. Jean Kalilani, M.P.
- Minister of Gender, Children, Disability and Social Welfare: Honourable Patricia Kaliati, M.P.
- Minister of Health: Honourable Dr. Peter Kampalume, M.P.
- Minister of Justice and Constitutional Affairs: Honourable Samuel Tembenu.
- Minister of Information, Tourism and Civic Education: Honourable Jappie Mhango, M.P.
- Minister of Natural Resources, Energy and Mining: Honourable Bright Msaka, SC.
- Minister of Agriculture, Irrigation and Water Development: Honourable Dr Allan Chiyembekeza, M.P.
- Minister of Trade and Industry: Honourable Joseph Mwanamvekha, M.P.
- Minister of Lands, Housing and Urban Development: Honourable Atupele Muluzi, M.P.
- Minister of Transport and Public Works: Honourable Francis Kasaila, M.P.
- Minister of Education, Science and Technology: Honourable Dr. Emmmanuel Fabiano, M.P.
- Minister of Local Government and Rural Development: Honourable Kondwani Nankhumwa, M.P.
- Minister of Sports and Culture: Honourable Grace Obama Chiumia, M.P.
- Deputy Minister of Education, Science and Technology: Honourable Vincent Winstone Ghambi, M.P
- Deputy Minister of Defence: Honourable Malison Ndau, M.P.