Malawi student dares mathematical world: Mzuzu University genius in mathematics

In a twist of events, as Malawi’s science education curriculum continues to use theorems developed in the west, Mzuzu University (MZUNI) has all reasons to smile as it has dared the world of science by producing an innovative and creative mathematics genius, who is able to advance already existing theorems as well as developing new ones.

Mzuni mathamatics genius: Bruce Jimmy Songa

Mzuni mathematics genius: Bruce Jimmy Songa

Long gone are the days when students in the sciences may in the near future continue to be glued to mathematical theorems from the Greco-Roman world of science, as Bruce Jimmy Songa, who hails from Matani Mwakasangila village in Traditional Authority (TA) Kilupula in the northern district of Karonga, has challenged the world of science by developing over 50 Mathematics formulas and theorems.

Commenting on the effectiveness of his formula and theorems, the neo-pythagoras, who is also currently working on a book titled ‘New Approaches in Mathematics Education,’ noted that his theorems are effective enough to be applied in science fields such as Physics.

“My theorems are quite correct, clear and effective and can be applied alongside several conventional theorems. When used in calculating mathematical problems, the theorems can only produce a percentage error that ranges from -2% to 0.1%, which is mathematically very minimal and substantive.

“The Songabrucic Quadrilateral Diagonal Rule (Songabrucic Qua-dia-rule) is so significant as it can be used in Pure and Applied Mathematics, Physics, Civil Engineering, Physical Planning, Land Surveying and other sciences to calculate displacement (in metres), velocity (in metres/second) and force (in newtons),” said the boldly optimistic Songa, who shares a vision of becoming a great mathematician as he acknowledges Sir Isaac Newton as his role model.

When asked as to whether he is able to derive each of his theorems, Bruce admits he is able to do that. However, he bemoans of often being discouraged by peers who consider him as being insane.

“I’ve developed over fifty mathematical formulas. Currently I’m advancing them as well as working on three new ones in Physics which will be finalised within the next two years. I developed the Songabrucic Multiplication of Eleven Technique in 2005 but it was fully successful in 2012. Simultaneously, I worked on Songabrucic Splitting Theorem around 2006 to 2010 which was also fully developed and swung into action way back from December 2012 up to early 2013.

“Later on, I advanced on what I call ‘Pythagoras-Songabrucic Solidarity Principle’ in 2013 which has been finalised recently. From the year 2014 to present, I’m tirelessly inverting Songabrucic Line Bisector Rule under Acute and Obtuse Angle Originality (Songabrucic Li-Bi-Rule). This has swung into balance to what I call the Cosine Rule Alternative.

“I’m able to mathematically revisit, prove and derive any of my theorems but I rarely do that to fellow competent mathematicians to avoid plagiarism since they are not yet protected by international Intellectual Property (IP) copyright standards,” said the third year Bachelor of Education (Science) Ngonde-based genius, who also has a passion of watching Basketball and Boxing.

Coming from a humble education background, the 21-one-year-old Bruce, who formerly went to Lufilya Community Day Secondary School (CDSS) in Karonga, admits that his journey of theorizing is merely an inspiration from God.

He avows that the very initial essence of coming up with formulas and theorems was a blessing in disguise as it was meant to solve a problem he had encountered in his bricklaying career when he was young.

“To me, theorizing is a gift from God and I collectively call my theorems as ‘Revealed Theorems’ since He is the sole source of my scientific skills ever since childhood days. It all started when I was in primary school – both at Ngerenge and Malo primary schools in Karonga – when I established myself as a bricklayer. At an early age of eight, I used to build houses during the recess so as to obtain some basic necessities of life and people appreciated my work.

“In 2004, when I was in form two and carrying out my usual bricklaying duties, I encountered a problem that required mathematical calculations. Sometimes I could neither eat nor take a bath because I was trying to resolve the problem by translating it into an applicable mathematical formula relevant in bricklaying and construction.”

He continued: “Due to my strong belief in Jesus Christ, and off course hard work and effort, it really worked later in 2006 and 2007 when I came up with the first draft of my theorems based on the principles of construction which was later developed in the period between 2012 and 2013. This was also when I had accomplished my teaching practicum as a Primary School Teacher, graduated from Karonga Teachers’ College, and joined MZUNI.”

“A couple of weeks after joining the MZUNI intelligentsia, I applied my course work in Mathematics to further develop my theories,” said Bruce, who likes reading the Bible as well as composing songs in Ngonde-Nyakyusa and Swahili languages during his free time.

39 thoughts on “Malawi student dares mathematical world: Mzuzu University genius in mathematics”

1. Danwel nkhata says:

bravo bruice…work toward achievement….

2. Banda says:

Malawians, lets learn to appreciate and be proud of what others are blessed with

3. seko says:

I think if you doubt the capability of this guy then make an effort to communicate with him than arguing against him here. I know Bruce and I taught him one time at secondary level.I do understand that some do have hidden talents which once uncovered in one point in life many don’t believe. I had a colleague who had 2 point s in Maths at MSCE level and I had 1 point but my friend is doing PhD in maths while I did applied science program. let’s learn to encourage our colleagues than undermining them.

It’s only when you understand that we are still living in the world of discoveries, it’s when you will accept new ideas.

4. Rev. Austin D. Tamandani says:

Wonderful brother and my son in the Lord! God has not yet finished revealing things. May his hand reveal more and take you to the ends of the world by his grace.

5. Vincent M says:

On each and every post on Nyasatimes, I look forward to seeing and reading comments from ‘The Analyst’. The guy is a shrewd observer, clever and intelligent.

Keep it up Mr ‘The Analyst’

1. The Analyst says:

Am humbled . . .
      Thanks.

6. Master says:

statistis404

so u think its only Namangale who know mathematics? if he was that good he wouldnt be rotting at UNIMA as lecture, very sad to insultMZUNI and u think being at UNIMA is a an achievement, mind u UNIMA also doesn’t count on world academic matters ranked number 7000 globally, i cant be inspired to attend school at such low standard varsity, i thought u could have said the boy could have been ku OXFORD???? Professor father RYAN is a great mathematics academic who can validate bruce ability far much better than stupid Namangale wakoyo waku chanco,i dont think this can just be published without MZUNI academic knowing about this i dont think so!!!

7. Statistics 404 says:

Genius? If you were a genius you would be at UNIMA not Mzuni.

Go to Chanco and Meet the legendary Professor Namangale of Statistics, if he proves your theorems right then maybe maybe you may be deemed Enlightened….. but for now, it’s too early to call you such a title. Mind you, you can develop a ‘wrong’ theorem by using a ‘right’ method. I’m not a hater but a realist.

Best wishes brother.

8. Masozi Mwenifumbo says:

God bless you brother for recognising that all sound and unadulterated wisdom, knowledge, and understanding comes from the Almighty Yahweh God, the Sole Creator of Heavens and Earths and all things in them!!!!! May the good Lord Himself who made you to diligently seek Him in all your endeavours abundantly enable you to reach the expected end and fruition of Go’s plan for your life in Christ Jesus amongst all His creation!!!!!! Hallelujah!!!!!!!………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….Now, Genesis 1:1says, “In (ie the opening and closing Brackets of “B” the first letter of BOMDAS) the beginning (note the silent “‘Of’ His creation and forming work” in the Second letter “O” of BOMDAS (i.e God started counting, showing He knew counting before any creature), God created the heaven and (ie + (plus) the earth.” Now verse 2 says, “And the earth was (still at this juncture, unlike the ETERNAL HEAVENS OF GOD ABOVE) FORMLESS (DISORDERLY VOID (empty/chaotic/knowledgeless/uncomprehending/vain); AND DARKNESS (IGNORANCE/VANITY/DEATH) WAS UPON THE FACE OF THE DEEP (and hence needed the God of Heavens, the Sole Creator Himself TO FIRST OF ALL DO SOMETHING, and therefore, God Sent His Holy Spirit, His ETERNAL Creative Agent/MESSENGER in Whom was His Creative WORD OF GOD (JESUS CHRIST). And the Spirit hovered over THE FACE OF THE WATERS (IN ORDER TO BRING LIGHT/ABILITY/LIFE/POWER OF UNDERSTANDING/KNOWLEDGE, ORDER, IN THE EARTH, JUST AS HEW HAD ALREADY DESIGNED, SET, AND DONE IN THE SPIRITUAL HEAVENS!!!! In verse 3, And God said, “Let there be LIGHT (MULTIPLICATING LIFE/POWER/ABILITY/WORD OF GOD); and there was light (ie the creation had to come to the knowledge of the CREATOR FIRST, BEFORE ANYTHING ORDERLY AND MEANINGFUL COULD BE CREATED AND MADE (FORMED) IN IT. Therefore, back to our BOMDAS, BEHOLD!!! We have the “M” of BOMDAS in verse 3 of Genesis 3!!!! Hallelujah!!!!!!!! In verse 4, “And God saw the light, that it was good: and God DIVIDED (thereby introducing the ‘DIVISION’ letter “D” in “BOMDAS”) THE LIGHT FROM THE DARKNESS!!!! Hallelujah, there we have the “D” of “BOMDAS” IN THE WORD OF GOD THE CREATOR!!!!!!! And in verse 5, “God called (AFTER “ADDING” THE LIGHT OF VERSE 3 TO THE 24 HOUR-DARKNESS OF VERSE 3 BY TAKING AWAY/BACK OR REDEEMING (ie “SUBTRACTING”) THE TWELVE HOURS, THEREBY introducing the “ADDITION” sign “a” in “BOMDAS”) the light “DAY”, and the (ie. 12 HOURS REMAINDER OF THE DARKNESS) darkness He called “NIGHT”. And the evening and morning was the FIRST DAY (from from adding light, dividing, and subtracting the light added from the 100% darkness to 50/50 or proportion/proportion of night/day!!!!!!! Hallelujah!!!!!!! ……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….It is clear from Genesis 1-2 that ALL GOOD, (UNDERLINE GOOD) wisdom, knowledge, understanding, and skill and manipulation of numbers, figures, and accompanying words comes from God, for it is Him who has been using them from all Eternity unto all Eternity. The counting wisdom, knowledge, understanding, skill and insight shown above only LEADS ANY SENSIBLE CREATURE TO DRAW OURSELVES UNTO GOD, THE SOURCE OF ALL SUCH VIRTUES OF EXCELLENCE. For since Genesis 3, NOT ALL SO-CALLED WISDOM/KNOWLEDGE/UNDERSTANDING/SKILL COMES THROUGH GOD, BUT OTHERS COME THROUGH THE DEVIL/SERPENT/OLD DRAGON WHO DECEIVED EVE AND MADE ADAM DISOBEY GOD FOR HIS WIFE AND THE DEVIL. No wonder trough adulterated wisdom, skill, knowledge, and understanding THROUGH THE DEVIL’S DECEPTIVE, EARTHLY, DEMONIC WISDOM, THEY WENT AHEAD TO SEW APRONS FROM FIG LEAVES TO COVER THEIR NAKEDNESS (JUST LIKE MEN AND WOMEN OF TODAY DO IN MANY PLACES THROUGH APOSTASY), ONLY TO BE CORRECTED BY GOD HIMSELF, WHO HIMSELF MADE THEM ROBES/GOWNS TO COMPLETELY COVER THEIR NAKEDNESS AND SHAME!!!! LET US MEDITATE, TALK, DO, WALK, AND LIVE IN GOD’S WORD IN CHRIST JESUS, AND IT SHALL BE WELL WITH US, FOR IF WE FORSAKE HIM, HE WILL SURELY FORSAKE US ALSO!!!!!!! HALLELUJAH!!!!!!!

9. Jenkha says:

One time one crazy guy when I was in Zomba claimed to have developed a formula, that proved that 0/0=1. He could write pages and pages trying to prove his assertion but long at last it was proven to be a hoax. Similarly, during my college days, we used to having some other crazy azungus, mostly in Mathematics who were making similar claims only to be disproved by fellow geniuses Malawian lecturers. Unfortunately, this craziness usually happens in Mathematics. On a positive note, it could be possible. But the problem is our local mentality that best things always come from azungu. Recently, a observed on MBC TV where there was a lady advocating the nutritional status of Moringa, claiming it should be used as relish. People phoned in satating that Moringa has medicinal values but the lady complained vehemently. her claim was that no dosage has been prescribed by anyone to prove that Moringa is a wonder medicine. Little did she know that she was treading dangerously in her assertion that Moringa can be made into food. The question I had was, If Moringa is able to cure ailments, after being taken in low doses, thenwhat overdose can it have if someone takes it as chigwada in that full plate of ndio?

10. Euphemia Bota says:

Developing formulas is not a problem. I remember when I was in Form 4 with my two friends we developed our own formulas to calculate focal lengths and focal points. So when time came for physics practical exams, we just worked on the problems within 2 minutes and we were moving the lenses just to fool the invigilator. We did not even disclose our formulas to our physics teacher. So let us support and encourage the guy.

11. LUHANA says:

Bruce , keep it up. We just advise you to do more coz we can not be talking of greek theorems all the time.Present your work to govt and NGOS so that its not buried. Africans have brains but we suppress each other simply not to hear that our friend is doing fine.

12. XL says:

Am simply proud of you Bruce.

Michael Faraday, the father of our electronic age was similar to you in that his education wasn’t a thing you could envy. He was a chola boy of a chemistry professor. As a young boy Faraday mixed chemicals for the professor. At his coffin lay 99 PHDs from different universities.

He was a hard worker who went jogging 3am and was in the lab by 5. He read the Bible and prayed before he did anything. He died with thousands of theses to his name. He believed that God had just simply revealed a new set of understanding to him.

He thought even though electricity is claimed by man, no one created electricity in the electric fish, n insects that glow at night. He claims that it was not man that creates electricity in stones that crash to make a fire, no do we have the power to create electricity in two clouds to form lightening. That was all designed by God. He was just a recipient of what God had designed for us in heaven. He said, he was just a corridor of Gods own marvels.

Today it is you Bruce. If someone saw Bruce in rugs or failing in class when he was young isn’t a problem at all. That just shows you that knowledge cones from above, n not through Bruce.

Let everyone feeling jealous come back to reality. Lets support this young man. Keep it up, but try to design better n simpler names. This is a new age. Instead of ALL IS RIGHT we say, OK. please shorten them like saying BRUK Theorems instead of it all. Bless!

13. ned says:

Why are people so negative?😨..

14. Greencardless Malawian says:

FOOLS LIKE TO ARGUE THINGS THEY DONT UNDERSTAND. I PERSONALLY RESPECT GENUINELY SUCCESSFUL PEOPLE…COME UP WITH A THEOREM THAT WORK AND PROVE IT WORKS ANS I WILL OEPNLY ADMIRE YOU BUT DONT COME TO ME WIITH A DEGREE YOU NEVER EARNED AND YOU EXPECT ME TO RESPECT YOU, FOR GOODNESS SAKE, IM NO FOOL!

15. khwangwi says:

Who has validated these so called theorems? What do the theorems state?
    I am convinced that you have ability to solve geometric problems but not the ability to state new ideas in geometry. As someone has already said, it may mean that you came up with formulas that are already derivatives of existing ones.

Why does this journalist write about unproven things?

16. kindingo says:

mmmmm jimmy ithot you were born in 1983 under that mfulu tree kulusoko kula???? and u had ur f⁴ three times lufilya, ngerenge and baka respectively?? n u joined teaching in 2010 n u went in Tanzania for teaching??? after utanva kut mzuni akutenga ODL then u came back to Malawi??? what I know is u have to tell us more about this ODL course!!!! any way congulates my fellow karonga!!!!

17. Franco Moses Gentie says:

If your theorems really works as those already developed ,then ur genius dude.

18. Sekulu says:

I wonder if Bruce has written the story about his academic prowess on his own or some Nyasatimes reporter, who of course could not write the story without researching from the academic fraternity.

To me I would like to say, Bruce you are doing us much good and pride, with your intellectual gift.

A Malawi, don’t feel jealously of what God has given your neighbour.

19. CHEWA FEDERAL FRONT says:

Author, if your genius has invented new mathematical theorems, let him submit them to some journals like (An applied mathematics journal) for peer review. These journals exist expressly for the dissemination of new ideas.
    To avoid bringing ridicule on the the country, it would be wise to first show his theories to some senior maths lecturers before submitting them.
    But then, again, its good to hear that he is enthusiastic about mathematics.

20. Victim Sankho says:

Great. Do not be discouraged by novices. Even Newton was initially considered insane but later accepted as the GREAT ONE SCIENTIFICALLY. Just keep on. Industries out there help him, there is a lot of material required for this. Ministries of Education, Science and Technology, Industries, Environment, etc where are you. This is FUTURE MALAWI in the making!!!

21. ndondwa says:

Pazakapo mwanama age cheating imeneyo tangonenani zoona basi iyaa amalawi kuzolowera kunama ndizosafunika kunama zomwe bwanji?

True @ Joshua 3, za wa helicopitor waku dowa uja zili pati musamukhomerere munthu tikufuna tizikwera ndege zopangidwa ku malawi kwathu komwe kuno.

22. Achina says:

good one bra …pitilizani am happy for you…

23. Makanja says:

ALL MATHEMATICS HAD BEEN DEVELOPED BY THE END OF THE 19th CENTURY.
    There is nothing new a PRIMITIVE boy like him can add to the body of mathematics. Sorry!!!
    Unlike Medicine where new things are discovered every year, there is very little that’s new in maths. It takes less intelligence to be awarded a professorship in medicine than it does in maths.
    In fact, if you really discovered something new in maths, you’d up for a Nobel Prize.

24. JK Kamzy says:

U must really be a genius! Sizophweka nowadays at the age of 9 to be in form one…. and kwenikweni those days! I mean, being 21 today…. u must’ve bee 9 when you were in form one (2004). Further, it leaves me wondering why u decided to proceed 2 a CDSS at that infancy and not try your luck to the national secondary schools…. why couldn’t you take ua time and patience to get uaself a place at a secondary school? Talk of over fifty theorems? That’s even great in a span of ten years! I wonder if it took that short for the other classical theorists… Again, I wonder if Pythagoras managed such a number of theorems: of course I only know of the Pythagoras theorem, while acknowledging that there might be other theorems by him that I don’t know because I didn’t pursue Science. All in all, the Very best of success.

25. ADyumali says:

So he was only 9 when he was in form 2
    Anayamba xool at what age?

26. Dyumali says:

SOUNDS GREAT. GOOD LUCK YOUNG MAN.

27. sillymalawi says:

While I admire this math genius, I still wonder why he cant dare his colleagues in the discipline for peer-review. Publish them (theorems) to get critical reviews and then patent the ideas. If you cant expose your creativity, who will appreciate how your theorems can contribute solving the real world challenges as you (the mathematician) claim; who will dare say the proofs are as valid as claimed?

28. hahah says:

the problem is when people have memorized alot of mathematics problems they end up rearranging already developed therioes and think they have created a knew one.
    until i have seen and proven them without relying on other formulas…..i don’t bliv this crap.
    i hope those who knows science really understand what i am saying, cause from the look of things the dude writing this crap doesnt know anything tangible abt science.
    and next time just say he is from karonga not the northern what what…..you just trying to prove superiority over unproven things?

29. GONANI says:

Very inspiring.

30. Kenkkk says:

It makes me very proud to see Malawians like you trying very hard. It doesn’t matter whether or not the your efforts are genuine.

Please expose your work at a higher world academic stage or other institutions for scrutiny and if successful you will get recognition.

As a start you can send your scripts to various mathematics geniuses at universities abroad not forgetting our own mathematicians at our universities in Malawi.

31. malume says:

so you are 21???
    kkkkkk
    in 2004 you were in form two!!!!
    be realistic bruce lee..
    you should be in your thirty`s
    atumbukaa kunama zakaaaaaa

32. mameee says:

so, he is 21 you say?

33. The Analyst says:

O……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..O
    Wow . . .
    . . . Even the way his name is twisted into the theorems, clearly uncovers the fact that his brain cells vibrate at somewhat different wave length from the rest.

But am somewhat worried. You see . . .
    . . . Way back in my secondary school days, I can recall; we had a student in my class who was bright but only in Mathematics. He could get 100% in Mathematics, 30% in English, 21% in Agriculture and other grades I cant mention in public; in the rest of the subjects.
    . . . Some of us however, could get 70% in Mathematics, 71% in English, 68% in Agriculture and other grades, just hovering around such numbers.
    . . . Not surprising that the length of ours paths, eventually differed.

The story related above somewhat, sounds similar. Coz, going by what’s written; the guy’s mind sounds too bright to find himself at Karonga TTC for some Primary School Teaching Course. Maybe it’s because there is never one way/path of getting to a place?
    . . . Otherwise, his story is very encouraging!
    ………………………………………………………………..
    But am still troubled . . .
    . . . Are we sure that there is no one who has ever seen and appreciated this guy’s works since 2013, hence pushed for publication of his theorems in some journal article?
    . . . This guy’s works sound publishable tu!; and not just in any other journal but reputable journals.
    . . . Otherwise, it will be a waste, to just develop the theorems for the Malawi market, coz not many people will appreciate; and those that seem to know the value, may even want to suffocate you.
    . . . You see . . .
    “There is always something about your success that displeases even your best friend.” – Mark Twain

Anyway, let me remain worried and troubled. This guys is a genius.

34. Greencardless Malawian says:

BE WISE IN THE WAY YOU RELEASE THESE TO THE WORLD IR ELSE SOMEONE WILL STEAL YOUR HARD EARNED PRIDE AND PRICE. DO NOT USE THESE BLOOD SUCKING SO CALLED POLITICIANS, DO NOT USE CONDOM LIKE UNIVERSITY PROFESSORS OR THESE ILLEGITIMATE DRs AND THEIR PROFESSORS. IF YOU HAVE TO DO A THOROUGH RESEARCH AS TO WHO CAN ADVANCE YOUR WORK FURTHER THAN AFRICA’S BOUNDARIES AND EARN YOU THE RESPECT YOU DESERVE.

35. ufulu says:

Great stuff. If we were a country with sober thinking we could have found a means to nature such rear talents. Even if some quarters may doubt the credibility of his work, he has demonstrated that he is made of great substance and if given support he can grow his mathematical passion and make it big locally and internationally.

36. Joshua says:

MALISECHE WANA

WA HELICOPTER UJA
    ZILI PATI PLEASE ??

NSANJE SI CHAMUNA

PLEASE UPDATE US !!( THE WORLD)

37. Mapwevupwevu says:

Good for him. I hope they are not worthless figments of his imagination!

38. Revealed says:

This is worth the time. keep it up bro.