Malawi to extradite Chanthunya, says top prosecutor

Malawi government through the office of the Director of Public Prosecution DPP) has said Misozi Chanthunya, a Malawian murder suspect currently fighting extradition from South Africa, will soon be extradited.

The top prosecutor Bruno Kalemba told a local newspaper that Chanthunya will soon be in the country but there are few things that need to be taken into consideration.

“We need him in Malawi urgently but there are processes which we must follow and right now we are waiting to hear from government of South Africa for the next course of action.” Kalemba is quoted as saying in the country’s flagship daily, The Nation.

Chanthunya: Appeals against extradition

Chanthunya: Appeals against extradition

The 37-year-old lodged an appeal to the South African Supreme Court against an earlier ruling made by the South African North West High Court in Mafikeng that he should be handed over to the Malawi Government to answer the charges.

The Malawian businessman was arrested on January 23, 2012 by the International Police (INTERPOL) in Rustenburg, South Africa where he had been hiding after being on the run for more than a year.

Misozi is accused of gruesomely killing his pregnant Zimbabwean girlfriend, Linda Gasa, in September 2010 before allegedly entombing her in his private cottage at Monkey Bay in Mangochi.

Late Gasa, a student at the Malawi College of Accountancy and Misozi are reported to have travelled to the cottage to discuss the pregnancy issue which the fugitive wanted her to abort but she declined.

After his bizarre escape in Malawi, Misozi was reportedly co-habiting with a Malawian woman, 22-year-old Ria Evans, in South Africa until his arrest. The lady was also arrested and repatriated to Malawi last year.

Follow and Subscribe Nyasa TV :

Please share this Article if you like Email This Post Email This Post

More From Nyasatimes

More From the World

Comments are closed.