Malawi VP Chilima says rescue operations have been a success

Malawi Vice President Saulos Chilima has said despite challenges that had been there like bad weather, Government has managed to successfully carry out rescue operations in all areas that have been hit by floods triggered by heavy and unprecedented down pour in the country.

Chilima gives the updation for the disaster at the press briefing at Capital Hill in Lilongwe-Pic. by Abel Ikiloni

Chilima gives the updation for the disaster at the press briefing at Capital Hill in Lilongwe-Pic. by Abel Ikiloni

According to Chilima, there are currently no areas that have people who are totally stranded but however stressed that all response strategies in place are still ongoing.

The Vice President said this on Wednesday when he briefed journalists on the recent updates and steps taken in addressing the floods-crisis; in Lilongwe.

He said the national responses have been categorized in three phases with the first being rescue operations, provision of relief items and lastly being the recovery process.

Chilima, despite saying government is still working on the national disaster response plan, he stressed the importance of people in the flood prone areas to move to the upper lands.

“While plans are still there, let me join His Excellency President Peter Mutharika in appealing to people in Phalombe and all the flood prone areas to move to the upper lands. I hope people will take this appeal seriously so that we can avert the disaster,” said Chilima.

“We will still be looking on to see how best we can avoid similar disasters in the next rainy season and in all the seasons to come.

Chilima said the UN is also doing further assessments to establish the extent of the disaster which will help in establishing exactly how much and what kind of resources will be needed aftermath of the disaster.

The Vice President also urged all those willing to help through cash or kind, but preferably in relief items to channel their resources to the department of disaster management or on the local level to the responsible district officers in order to be a step ahead of possible defrauders who might want to take advantage of the crisis.

Recent figures indicate 121, 000 households have been displaced, 153 people missing, 40, 000 hectors of crop land destroyed and 48, 000 metric tons of food lost.

He however said all disaster preparedness mechanisms will still be in place.

“There have been conflicting reports with some indicating that we could be hit with another cyclone with other reports indicating that we may not.

“This is why all districts inter agency teams and all other response teams are still at work. However, touchwood is it does not hit Malawi,” said Chilima.

He subsequently thanked local organizations like Admarc, KIA Air Cargo, Press Trust, Illovo sugar, Africana club and FDH amongst others who have come forward and rendered a helping hand to government in addressing the disaster.

Also, Chilima thanked the international support from Zambia, India, the Japanese government and also Jica for their support.

As of now, he said there are pledges from the World Bank of 6, 000 dollars, 2 million dollars from USAID, 6, 000 dollars from the EU, 2.5 million dollars from Japan, and further pledges from Cadecom, Unicef, DFID and Medicine sen frontiers.

The African Development Bank (ADB), Irish Aid and the Germany government will help in the recovery process.

Follow and Subscribe Nyasa TV :

Please share this Article if you like Email This Post Email This Post

More From Nyasatimes

More From the World

7 thoughts on “Malawi VP Chilima says rescue operations have been a success”

  1. Zeria Banda says:

    Please note that the World Bank has given Malawi $600,000 (about MWK270 million) for the floods. The expectation is that the funds will be used for activities that facilitate opening up access to flooded areas such as temporary bridges and the related logistical support.

  2. Marioshona man says:

    The title of the article
    And some of your comments do not tally.The V P said rescue operations have been a success.Where is this related with Blantyre Water Board. English baba muziyimvetsa. Do not comment on things which haven’t been tackled in the article.

  3. Frodo says:

    Successful my foot! what this country needs is a total re-think on addressing environmental degration and proper settlement planning. It is clear that there is excessive plunder of the primary environment especially the wanton cutting of trees, mostly for short-term and cheap benefit. Additionally, most of the victims are living in undesignated and disaster-prone areas. This is what government needs to address in both the short and long-term. This to me, is the brutal truth!

    1. kanchenga. says:

      What’s wrong with your. It is your brain that is faulty. The VP is giving an update date on a specific operation which has been concluded with a high degree of satisfaction. That’s all. He knows Malawians want to know.

  4. lalirani says:

    Men at work, bravo!

  5. Nyamakumutu says:

    It this a typological mistake or the real support. Do you mean the whole World Bank and the whole EU giving $6000 for this kind of disaster. Kudzikonda

  6. RiseUpMalawi says:

    But your water shortage problems have not Mr VP Chilima!!! What have you done about that?? Because if you we’re really a technocrat yopu would know that you would start to fix the water shortage problems then assess how we can help those flood victims because they still need the basic amenities for their survival!! Technocrat my arse!!

Comments are closed.