Malawian Airlines studying Dash 8-200 for thinner routes

Malawian Airlines is talking with lessors about the supply of 30-seater aircraft needed to serve thin routes in the Mozambican market.airmalawi

Malawian Airlines

Malawian Airlines

Since its founding in 2013, the carrier has operated aB737-800 and a Dash 8-400, sourced from parent Ethiopian Airlines (), on flights between Malawi’s two main cities – Lilongwe and Blantyre – as well as to Mozambique, Zimbabwe, South Africa, Zambia, and Tanzania.

CEO Kassim Geresu told the African Aerospace magazine that the first of the aircraft would arrive by June 1 and could also be used to open up additional domestic routes as well as on VIP charter flights.

“We’re looking at 30-plus seaters with lessors – it’s under negotiation,” he said indicating that the preferred type was a Dash 8-200 owing to its comonality with the larger DHC 8-400.

The airline is also looking at other types namely the ERJ-145 and the ATR42 – a former mainstay in its predecessor Air Malawi‘s fleet.

Malawian Ailrines is a joint-venture between Ethiopian Airlines with a 49% stake while the Malawian government and local investors hold the remaining 51% majority stake.

Follow and Subscribe Nyasa TV :

Please share this Article if you like Email This Post Email This Post

More From Nyasatimes

More From the World

4 thoughts on “Malawian Airlines studying Dash 8-200 for thinner routes”

  1. et says:

    Don’t freak out Nyasa boys. First of all we Ethiopians are not white, indeed a lot of us have lighter skin than y’all. Secondly, your government has been trying to run an airline for decades unsuccessfully, they even tried to partner with others unsuccessfully. The govt. of Malawi is still majority stakeholder. They can push out Ethiopian just like they pushed out other partners before. Honestly Ethiopian should really not be in Malawi as it is not strategically placed to serve the region and neither does it generate significant number of travelers. The two aircrafts would have generated much more revenue had they been at Ethiopian headquarters.

  2. common sense says:

    What ever. At least we have flights coming in and out. Our black boys cant do nothing. Just do ganyu.
    we are stupid.
    Can anyone who disagrees with me give me one good thing we have done without the white man post democracy??????
    Even stealing was done with their assistance. Stealing failed when our black boys tried it on their own and it was called cashgate

  3. Taweni says:

    This will be the case unless and until we engage experts. See the Private , Partnership
    Commission seems to be an expert in itself. They have forgotten that Malawi Government trained many boys and girls in aviation and they cannot be consulted.

    This country has paid dearly for nepotism.

    Citizen.

  4. mbolozidana says:

    Can someone tell me that Malawi doesnt have an airline, the aforesaid airline belongs to Ethiopia, to say the truth ife a Malawi we are sleeping and foreigners they are coming and making money while we are sleeping, Malawian Airlines is externalizing millions of money to Ethiopia, l have the evidence for example this airline the months of Oct, Nov and Dec 2014 paid to Ethiopian airlines the cost of maintenance under voucher number 6060 totaling to MK85,479,408.07 Managment fees(6094) for the same three months period was MK184,926,250.00 the list is endless and we sit there and clap hands saying we have a joint venture with Ethiopian airline yet Malawi has nothing in this venture. This deal even Kayelekela was good, Malawi doesnt own any assets in this venture otherwise its wholly owned by Ethiopians.

Comments are closed.