Officials from Zagaf Trucks are in Mozambique in search of their driver who went missing after Renamo militias attacked and burnt his truck on Friday.
One of the officials called from Mozambique on Sunday saying they are working with Malawi embassy staff in Maputo.
The other two truck drivers, whose trucks were also burned returned home through Mwanza on Saturday to tell of horrors as Mozambique slips in another civil war.
Malawi government spokesperson Patricia Kaliati assured the nation that officials from Lilongwe and Maputo are “in touch”, saying “everything is going to be alright as the two governments are working together.”
So far the militias, plying on Tete main road, have set ablaze four Malawian trucks most of them with fuel on board.
BBC correspondent in Mozambique Jose Tembe told Focus on Africa program that Renamo leader Alfonso Dhlakama wants the government to allow him rule the six provinces he won during the 2014 general election.
Dhlakama lost the election to Frelimo’s Filipe Nyuse.
Tembe said Dhlakama has said he wants to attend peace talks in person in Maputo and has demanded assurances of his safety first before the agenda of the negotiation is discussed by the government has dismissed this.
“He is ordering the ambushing, looting and burning of trucks and passenger buses to force the government listen to him. Unfortunately this is affecting landlocked countries of Zimbabwe, Zambia and Malawi,” he said.
He said Dhlakama is accusing Zimbabwe, Tanzania, China and Korea of sending troops to Mozambique to overrun his camp.
Mozambican authorities are now escorting vehicles passing through the volatile area.Follow and Subscribe Nyasa TV :