The ruling Democratic Progressive Party is highly  likely to grab Bembeke Ward from MCP, thanks to an unlikely endorsement from the former MCP councillor for the area Davie Lingalawe who had his seat declared vacant on legal reasons.

Chilima with DPP candidate Betty Cham'boti

Chilima with DPP candidate Betty Cham’boti

Kamenya Choir inspires -(c) Abel Ikiloni

Kamenya Choir inspires -(c) Abel Ikiloni

Lingalawe, who joined Vice President Saulos Chilima on Friday to campaign for a DPP candidate Bettie Cham’mboti, has since announced that he has joined DPP.

During the campaign trail on Friday in the district both Lingalawe and Chilima pleaded with the people of Dedza to open up their ayes and stop practising politics of loyalty which has failed to develop the district.

“Change has come and you need to change too. Lets work together and have a councillor who is from the government side so that you stop this tendency of opposing everthing for the sake of politics,” said Chilima who arrived in Malawi on Thursday after a day long visit to the Vatican where he met Pope Francis.

Chilima said the country should be exemplary in supporting women since President Peter Mutharika was chosen to be ambassador for He4She, a solidarity campaign for the advancement of women which was initiated by UN Women.

“Women have been underrepresented in leadership positions for a long time. Let us demonstrate through these elections that we are committed to change that status by voting for Acham’boti Maluwa,” he said.

He said government is determined to continue with various development initiatives such as construction of roads.

“The DPP government is development conscious, however, our efforts are sometimes derailed by opposition parties who oppose for the sake of it. If you vote for a DPP councilor, you will be able to realize development in this area because we share a common vision,” he said.

DPP is fielding a woman candidate, Betty Acham’boti Maluwa, who is contesting against seven other candidates in the by-elections slated for Tuesday next week.

Bembeke ward fell vacant after its councilor Davie Lingalawe, who won on a Malawi Congress Party (MCP) ticket, was convicted and fined by the Dedza magistrate’s court for tampering with an Electricity Supply Commission of Malawi (ESCOM) meter to steal electricity.

Other parties contesting for the ward are MCP, People’s Party (PP), United Democratic Front (UDF) and Ntendere Ufulu Party who have fielded Wilfred Tsangala, Patrict Chimlambe, Noel Mbengo and Moses Sandeu, respectively.

Three other candidates are contesting as independents and include Joseph Kambuwa, Fincess Chibweya and Gerald Zungu.

With official campaign period closing  Sunday morning, the Vice President did not waste time but trek to Mchinji Saturday for a final campaign push in Mchinji west, where a parliamentary by election is taking place.

The DPP is fielding local business man Stephano Kamwani, who has since promised to develop the area with a repeated phrase of “I am one you. I know our problems and I know what we ought to do. I am not applying to be your boss but servant so that we work together.”

The ruling DPP has put much effort in the by elections which, except Zomba, fall in areas widely considered as MCP but the current squabbles and brainless leadership in MCP could hand DPP victory  on silver platter.

16 thoughts on “MCP councillor campaigns for DPP: After meeting Pope, Malawi VP Chilima winds up campaign”

1. Onani ziagalu kuvina ngati zinyawu! Foseke!

2. Nsadzi says:

I hate DPP more than I hate the devil.

3. uneneskonguwemi says:

That ward will go to MCP.

4. all-i-can say says:

This vice president is really desperate to be identified as one of DPP. Even campaigning for a ward councillor? And every time he opens his mouth his mouth, the more desperate and irrelevant he becomes. The opposition are there for checks and balances but the plan or lack of is down to Mutharika and his DPP. Stop finding scapegoats to your failure to move the country forward and go to hell!!. Is ther anything Malawi can be proud of at the moment? YOU THINK MALAWIANS ARE FOOLS!!

5. Msowoya says:

I just love DPP

1. becks says:

Which Msowoya is this? The Speaker?

2. Achimidzimidzi says:

I also love DPP. It a party of thieves . Can you attest how Davie Lingalawe has joined us. Where else can a convict like him go.

6. Otatu says:

DPP yomweyo kuti wa!wa!wa!🎼🎈🎸

7. Zolimbana says:

Malawi is indeed a poor country. I wonder whether we are at all thinking of wading through these waters of poverty with this kind of thinking. I am the vice president, educated, I once lead a very successful multinational private company. Now I am campaigning with a convict, a criminal, a man who was dismissed as a Ward Councillor. I truly believe he is a good catch and that people will believe him. I think I better ask doctors to help me. I need help….I am done. I a confused fellow. I am really convinced that such a guy should join my political party….and this is happening in 2016….I am an expert of knowledge management. I have no idea that the guy whom I am courting today betrayed his people. He has no respect for rule of law. He is a criminal and what he sees is where to root next. what a shame…………………!

8. Mphedzule Waku Ntcheu says:

Che Chilima has nothing to offer. Sukulu yonse ija basi kukhalira padenga pa galimoto kumvesa chisoni. Paja PhD yake ndiya correspondence eti. Tiyeni tizionere limodzi pa Malawi pano with frequent blackouts and water shortages. Politics imapusisadi anthu ndaona

1. tchende mbeu says:

man politics ndi game yachabe munthu wabwinobwino with all sanity and higher qualifications amagwadira zidzete

9. Bullshit says:

Greedy

10. Chidakuamba says:

Malawi cannot develop with this kind of mediocrity. I don’t expect the level of the President or Vice President to lower themselves to campaign for a mere councilor for a ward? Really? Too sad to say the least! I feel sorry for Malawi…..

11. Mmalawi We Niweni says:

This guy (former councillor) was convicted by court of law for stealing electricity and his seat was made vacant. Then DPP says he is the right person for them to help in stealing votes or what? DPP will never take Malawi anywhere with this kind of cheap politics. If DPP was development conscious it was not going to use Chilima and Peter Muntharika to campaign for even a councillor, because people were to vote for their development activities, but because they are failures they are afraid.

12. No wonder he is a thief, he is backing up his fellow thieves, Chilima has no direction, ndi othandiza mbewa kuthawa, i suspect he might be doing all he is doing as a blind member, he is banking on being saved by nature hopping it will be like that.

1. Alfred Minjo says:

Mmmm! nonsense! Give us a break dude!!!