Malawi’s Ministry of Finance budget director Paul Mphwiyo who was shot recently is out of Intestive Care Unit (ICU) where he is receiving treatment at Milpark Clinic in Johannesburg.
Nyasa Times sources at the hospital said Mphwiyo is now in a ward and is “recovering well”.
Mphwiyo, the source assured that he is “ feeling much better now and is out of danger.”
He has been in ICU since an operation to remove bullets from his body was conducted last week.
Director of Clinical Services in the Ministry of Health, Dr. George Chithope Mwale, is on record saying Mphwiyo is “making steady progress and responding well to the treatment.”
A relation of Mphwiyo who spoke to Nyasa Times on Wednesday said the Budget Director’s recovery was looking “more hopeful.”
Mphwiyo was shot three times by unknown assailants a recently as he was entering his residence which is located in Area 43, Lilongwe
President Joyce Banda also informed the nation in a statement this week that she has “learnt with a big sigh of relief that Mr. Mphwiyo is currently recuperating in the Republic of South Africa and is making steady progress according to medical reports.”
She wished the Budget Director a swift recovery “so he can assist our government with the ongoing investigations as soon as possible.”
Eight of Malawi’s donors including the United Kingdom, the USA and the European Union community offered Malawi government assistance to help to thoroughly investigate all issues emerging following Mphwiyo’s shooting.Follow and Subscribe Nyasa TV :