A form two student at Kasamba Community Day Secondary School in Nkhotakota has died after mistakenly taking insecticide drug instead of ant malaria medicine.
Both Nkhotakota Police and an uncle to the deceased have confirmed of the incident that took place on Sunday this week.
According to the deceased’s uncle Ganizani Latibu Banda,and Nkhotakota Station Criminal Investigation Officer, assistant superintendent Cosmas Kadzandira, the boy has been identified as Lazilu Mangazi (15).
They said the deceased mistakenly took insecticide meant for treating maize weevils hoping it was anti malaria drug, which he was suffering from.
Soon after taking the weevil drug, he started vomiting heavily which surprised the neighbours and rushed him to Nkhotakota district hospital where he died while receiving treatment.
The deceased’s uncle said on the fateful day, he agreed with someone to bring him insecticide drugs. When the supplier arrived, Banda was not present and the deceased thought the drugs were meant for him.
Postmortem at the hospital confirmed the death was due to insecticide drug.
The late Lazilu Mangazi was until from Vinjenje village in the area of senior chief Malengachanzi in Nkhotakota district.
In a related development a 28-year-old man committed suicide over the weekend for fear of consequences that were to follow after failing to repay K100, 000 from a village saving and loan.
The deceased identified as Peter Mfune of Makuta village in the area of senior chief Malengachanzi in Nkhotakota.Follow and Subscribe Nyasa TV :