Tragedy hits Lilongwe family: Child dies after drinking chemical accidentally

A girl child has died in the capital Lilongwe after she mistakenly drank a poisonous chemical which his father bought to deal with a termite problem at his garden.

Sad death of a girl

Sad death of a girl

Nyasa Times has learnt that Dr. Masauko Kumwenda of Area 25 Sector 3, who works at the Ministry of Agriculture headquarters, on the fourteenth of this month procured the chemical from agro-dealers which was packaged in a small bottle.

The following day Kumwenda went to his garden in company of his daughter who sat behind the driver’s seat.

Unfortunately that is where he kept the hazardous-to-health chemical, a  relation said.

At the garden they plucked some guavas for home but on their way the child took the bottle containing the chemical and drunk the stuff.

“The parent discovered after  the strong smell that had engulfed the whole vehicle and then tried to ask the daughter if he had taken the chemical but she could not respond,” the source explained.

The father then tried to give her milk which only got her to vomiting. She was then rushed to Area 25 Hospital where efforts to save her life proved futile.

Follow and Subscribe Nyasa TV :

Please share this Article if you like Email This Post Email This Post

More From Nyasatimes

More From the World

22 thoughts on “Tragedy hits Lilongwe family: Child dies after drinking chemical accidentally”

  1. Game over! says:

    Number 5.1 you are right. sometime at Chilanga when people were agrandising the black cock a certain overzealous deputy SG from a certain synod called Chakwera Professor> He called all of us who do not support this party of death and darkness zitsiru live on ZBS. Unfortunately he was preaching to the already converted, i.e. the same small numbers who made their professor fail in 2014. The driver of the ceremony, one Maria, called kept on calling Chakwera Dr. No difference. The same man who will keep on warming the opposition benches until he retires like one JZU. Fortunately, I am told he will be booted out when he flops again in 2019 according to their party constitution.

  2. Mzakwacha, says:

    Am equally touched.I have also shed tears.May her soul rest in peace.Pepani chomene.Mzakwacha Nixon-pretoria.+27724922299.

  3. Maliseni says:

    MAY HER SOUL REST IN CHRIST ENTERNAL PEACE !!!! I FEEL SORRY FOR THE DAD WHO HAD A GOOD REASON TO DEAL WITH TERMITES. IN THIS STORY AM REMINDED OF THE TIME I WANTED TO GET RID OF MAKOSWE IN MY HOUSE AND WANTED TO USE TERMIC. MY WIFE STRONGLY OPPOSED AND SITED THE SAFTY OF KIDS AS THE RATS COULD DIE AT ANY PLACE INCLUDING IN FLOUR BUCKETS. I LATER ON OBEYED AND OPTED FOR OTHER MEANS OF DEALING WITH THE RATS THAT WERE NOT DANGEROUS.

    AS WE JOIN OUR COLLEAGUES IN MORNING HIS DAUGHTER LET US ALL TAKE THIS AS A LESSONS AND MAKE SURE THAT KIDS ARE ALWAYS IN A SAFE ENVIRONMENT

  4. Frank says:

    May Her Soul Rest In Peace

  5. wawo says:

    So heartbreaking, Lord have mercy on the father he is going to find it hard to live with himslef

  6. mbaswiche says:

    really so sad ,may she rest in peace

  7. The Analyst says:

    O…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..O
    This story is very sad . . . !
    . . . and saddest is the line . . .
    “The parents . . . tried to ask the daughter if she had taken the chemical, but she could not respond.”
    It saddens the heart, and dampens the spirit.
    I feel for the parents.
    ………………………………………………………………………
    Some mistakes are unavoidable, it is known;
    But those whose consequences are irreversible, should be avoided at all cost.

    “KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN,” it is always written.

    Otherwise, the burden one carries for “it was my fault” when in fact, it was nobody’s fault; or “I should/shouldn’t have done this or that”, when in fact, no one could have predicted it; is no laughing matter.

    It is not necessary to die young, let alone; younger. Sad!
    O…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………O

  8. Maria says:

    Kodi wasi ambrosi at 9 ukufuna kulemba kuti chiyani?

  9. charles munthali says:

    Sorry Masaukom I learnt about it from Chitemwa. Tikulira namwe a Daile

  10. wanguchifu says:

    Ambuye odziwa kutothoza akuyang’anileni

  11. wasi ambrosi says:

    Im very sad with that death she could be some one in our villege. gays wi don,t walt death like this in our area.rets fight togather prortect ich other to no were wihave put a danger like this things.

    1. Sindikumva Chilichonse says:

      Akulu, a Nyasatimes tu saletsa kulemba Chichewa or Chitonga, or Chisena or whatever language you are conversant with.
      Otherwise, it is unwise to force yourself or pretent to know hence write zinthu in a language you clearly dont know or understand.

      Zomwe mwalemba apazi sizikumveka iai.

  12. Zondiwe says:

    Very sad indeed.
    This is one reason why all medication is supposed to be kept away from children. Mr Kumwenda probably forgot to keep the bottle away from his daughter.
    This is a very sad story. Let us all learn something out of it.
    Dangerous medicines, chemicals, knives, axes, etc that can harm especially our precious little ones should always be locked away securely. Please, look around your homes and do something about this issue.

  13. Johns Tembo says:

    So sad indeed. May her soul rest in peace.

  14. Eduardo Happy says:

    This incident could have happened to any one. May God the father of our Lord Jesus Christ comfort the family for the loss.

    1. November Rain says:

      Not if that someone had kept the chemical away from the child.

  15. Kg says:

    He is Mr Kumwenda .s. working with ministry of trade …. and is a cchief accountant there..not Dr Kumwenda as it is written… Let her soul rest in peace

    1. November Rain says:

      Whether he is a Mr or Dr or Professor or whatever, it wont make any difference.
      How much weight do you lose to see him addressed as Dr?
      How much weight have you gained by registering your troubles and correcting it?
      A Malawi timalimbana ndi zinthu zopanda pake.

  16. Nambuma Girl says:

    I personally know the father, we worked together. He is so humble and I am grieving with the family. This is so sad. I am speechless. Only God can heal their sores. May Her Soul Rest In Peace.

  17. Bob says:

    So sad indeed, May her Soul Rest in Eternal Peace.

  18. Nkhombokombo says:

    Sad story indeed. May the girl’s soul rest in eternal peace!! We grieve with you, Mlungu akufukatireni.

Comments are closed.