Former ruling People’s Party (PP) secretary general Paul Maulidi has dragged to court the party’s leader and former president Joyce Banda and the party for ordering him to withdraw his parliamentary candidate in Blantyre North October 7 by-elections.
PP spokesperson, Ken Msonda said the party made a decision to pull out of the elections after losing confidence in the Malawi Electoral Commission (MEC).
But Maulidi feels his rights have been violated by the party. He also want compensation after claiming to have spent K72 million for campaigning since last year July.
“I tried to reason with the former president on my stand to contest but she stood her ground,” said Maulidi.
Maulidi, a lawyer who is representing himself in the case, said he want the courts to determine if it is possible for the party to stop a candidate from contesting.
Maulidi said he will go ahead to defy PP stand of boycotting the by-elections by contesting.
“I am ready to contest and I submitted my nomination papers ,” he challenged.
MEC Chief Elections Officer, Willie Kalonga said a duly-nominated candidate can only be withdrawn once he or she effects a written notification that is signed personally.
Kalonga said: “The Commission also wishes to advise that it is an offence to induce or influence a candidate to withdraw from an election and those found guilty risk a fine of up to K500,000 and two years imprisonment.”
According to Mec where a candidate voluntarily withdraws from an election, there is no refund for nominations fees.