Malawi boy without hands passes PSCLE exams

Physically challenged Gilford Jester who was born with no hands has against all odds passed the just released Primary School leaving Certificate of Education examinations at Nkhwazi Primary School in Mchinji district.

Jester, who uses legs to write, has been selected to Magawa boarding Secondary School an achievement which he says has proved many people wrong, because of doubts they have had on him due to his physical condition.

“Ever since I was born people have always underrated me, some of them were even saying I was wasting my time by going to school, it’s only my parents and teachers who were encouraging me.

“I know the results is a shock to most people, they never expected me to go any further with my education,” said the boy.
He however said that it was not easy to be in class, saying he had a lot of problems and that the environment in class was not conducive enough.

“I was having problems in handing my home work to the teacher for marking because very few classmates were willing to help me, most of them had also the perception that I was wasting my time and could not pay attention to me.

“Sometimes I could not attend classes for a week because of books, with my mother helping there was nothing I could do than to wait for her to source money for books, this was affecting my performance but I was always working reading hard to catch up friends,” he said.

Her mother Florida Khwasa applauds the boy but says she is not ready to pay him school fees, saying she don’t have any source of income which can sustain the boy at a boarding school.

“Talking about the results, am not surprised at all, he has been doing fine in school since standard 1, my only worry is where will I find the money for fees and other basic necessities? I don’t think I can manage that at the moment because am not working,” she worried.

She further said that different people and organization had to promise to pay school fees for her child but none of them have come forward to help.

“When he was at primary school a lot of people and organization showed interest in him, they promised us they will pay his secondary school fees should he pass the primary examination.

“Now that he has passed the exams no one has come to fulfill their promise, we are just looking forward to hear from them,” said Khwasa.
The district Social welfare has since given the boy different groceries and promised to pay his fees at the school, saying he is a role model.

“As an office we are very amazed with the boy, he has shown that everything is possible, we have heard and seen everything about him.
“It is very important that the boy should continue with his education, we have volunteered to pay him school fees until he finishes his secondary school, this is not because he is poor or disabled, but because he is a role model to many may people who are disabled in one way of the other, they can get inspired from him,” said Rodwel Chunga, the district Social welfare officer.

Gilford Jester who aspires to be a district commissioner is amongst ten pupils who have passed PSCLE exams at Nkhwazi primary school. The school had one hundred and thirty seven pupils who sat for the exams.

27 thoughts on “Malawi boy without hands passes PSCLE exams”

1. Hon Dickens Chipalamandule Ngoma says:

Thats a good challenge! Indeed, disability does not mean inability. I promise my Lord God in Heaven, I owe the boy one full term fees. I will visit him one day.

2. Enock says:

U mean 127 pupils failed at the said school. Another huge problem.

3. chris john sakala says:

The govt should come in to help the boy.This is quiet encouraging.May Jehovah guide him.

4. Majart says:

A wake up call for the Ministry of Gender, Children, Disability, and Social Welfare. What are we doing to encourage those who are found on the streets of urban centres especially at points where we have traffic lights? What is the difference between those with disabilities living in the urban centres and those living in the rural areas? What is the responsible Ministry planning to do for a small girl and boy usually in wheel chairs found at on the T-junction close to the Nature Sanctuary and Bisnowart Filling Station, less than a kilometre from Gemini where the Ministry is housed? What will happen of these children when they grow into adults? The sooner we addressed their plight the better. There is need to conduct a comparative assessment of these two groups living in two different areas of the same economy to determine strategies that may promote their interests. Given appropriate environments surely they will be able to make a positive contribution to the development of the economy, let alone become self reliant.

5. MLOMWE says:

ndizoona tigwirane manja tinthandize mwanayu wachita bwino ndithu pali ana ambiri ntchito masewera basi please send contact number mulomwe wapaphata achitepo kanthu

6. Gift Mayere says:

Let mi start by thanking God almighty for uplifting the boy to pass the exam. The bible says blesed is thee handth that giventh lets join hands and help the boy its not only the work of the amabungwe bt each concerned individual.

1. Nyamugemezulu says:

is there any way how we can send him our help?

7. SALOME says:

anyasa tumizireni nambala yamakolo kapena wachibale wake ndimuthandizeko mnyamatayo wapasa chidwi

8. Abwititi mwadzimvera nokha2 apa,mwana wanu wabwnobwno uja koma anagwanao mayexo,athandzdwe mwanay bas! Big up 2 u bro Gilford!!

9. bwititi says:

Zilibwino ofunika kumuthandiza moyenela

10. opportunist says:

Congratulation am hoping to meet this chap when I will be travelling to Mchinji

11. kholobowa(nthochi wapathyolo) says:

anyasatymz plz apatseni contact yamunthu wakujoniyo amuthandize mwanayo basi.ena mulipo omagula mpando 11 million kuti mukakhale ndi apresdnt ku high table.apa izi simungathandizeko ayi kukhala ngati simukumva kma mukumva

12. Pelumbe says:

Lets help this needy boy to further his education.God will bless u abundantly.

1. wobeba wanga says:

Amen brother

13. Chimango Mnyenyembe says:

Please would you tell his physcal address and contact numbers. Altleast a pen and a copy will be available just for him, just to appreciate the wonderful work God has done to him

14. thako says:

disability isnt inability, amabungwe muthandzen mwanau,osamangolowerera wina akagwirira

1. wobeba wanga says:

zoona brother

15. Saduchie says:

Nyasa Times, please send me their contact details I would like to get in touch with them. sms details to +27737088535 or advise how best I can get in touch with them.

16. prince saidih says:

Ukulu wake wawonekera kt iye ndimulungu.zabwino zonse kwa G jestr

17. Yoyo says:

Congratulation! Everything is possible with God. All well wishers plz try your best to assist him so that he can achieve his goals. May good Lord will fight till you have sponsors.

18. PASTOR FKS says:

Achimwene che Muthalika! nthangatenije mwanayu basi. Apite forward ndi maphunziro ache isaaa

19. Man Jossy says:

This is so wonderful mwa Mulungu chilí chonse ndichotheka. Plz God continue to bless him and giv him the bright future

20. Jahman says:

In his glory all is possible.

21. Mbolo Sidwala says:

Disability is not inability, it is situational. Everyone is disabled in one way or the other!

22. Mdabwitsidwi says:

Ambuye amutsogolele muzonse…

23. Mulungu simunthu ali naye cholinga mnyamatayo,ena alungalunga alephera ndithu

24. GALA says:

Everything Is Possible With God Almighty !!!