A poisonous bacteria has hit Malawi as people have resorted to eating rotten food because of persistent power outages.
Human Resources manager for Alliance One, Aubrey Mvula has since written employees at the company to avoid eating rotten food from shops because of the bacteria.
He says the rotten food produces the poisonous bacteria which is a health hazard.
“Most shops have problems in keeping fresh food because of elecricity outages,” he says.
Malawi Bureau of Standards (MBS) managing director Devlin Chokazinga said his organisation has informed major shops to clear fridges of rotten food.
He said the bureau had all along feared for the bacteria since the onset of electricity blackouts.
Ministry of Health spokesperson Adrian Chikumbe warned people against eating the rotten food, saying the poisonous bacteria can be catastrophic.
He however could not say how many people have been attacked with the bacteria.
Escom says it has no immediate solution to the power blackouts and tells people to be cautious when buying fresh food from shops.
The most affected food include meat, fruits and vegetables.
Follow and Subscribe Nyasa TV :