Mkango Lodge, a relatively upmarket hospitality outlet in Blantyre, is now fast earning a reputation as a death trap.
Kondwani Mbale, a 19 year old boy, was today (December 22) confirmed dead at Queen Elizabeth Central Hospital after drowning in the Lodge’s swimming pool.
According to one of the doctors at the Central hospital who handled the case but declined to be named to speak candidly, young Mbale died of suffocation.
This is almost 15 days since another person also drowned into the swimming pool at the lodge. And there have been a few other cases of drowning at the lodge.
Police who brought the remains of Mbale to the hospital wondered why drowning cases were rapidly increasing at the lodge.
“Some of these things border on negligence of the owners of the lodge,” said a police officer who spoke on condition of anonymity.
According to the officer, the lodge owners will have to be vigilant in terms of their safety measures or their licence will have to be reviewed or revoked all together.
“It is now too much,” lamented the officer. “Why should these things only be happening at Mkango as if it is the only lodge that has a swimming pool?”
Mkango Lodge is located some 50 metres after the Kameza Roundabout along the Blantyre-Lunzu Road.
It has become popular for its out of the way nature and the traditional touch given to its structures and service.
The owners of the lodge could not be reached immediately for their comment.Follow and Subscribe Nyasa TV :