Malawi’s ‘Golden Boy’ Chilemba loses fight of his life

Malawi’s boxer Isaac Chilemba lost the most important fight of his life on points to a Canadian boxer Averez.

Golden Boy Chilemba loses fight

Golden Boy Chilemba loses fight

Averez outpointed Isaac Chilemba via scores of 114-114, 118-110 and 115-113 on Saturday in the co-feature on Showtime at the Videotron Centre in Quebec City, Canada.

With the win, Alvarez (19-0, 10 KOs) became the No. 1 contender to the WBC light heavyweight title held by countryman Adonis Stevenson.

The Malawi boxer based in South Africa was just a fight away from securing a significant world title in the WBC in the light-heavyweight category.

Chilemba had one judge scoring a draw but the other judges had it the Canadian’s way.

The Malawian was not convinced with the decision saying he was favoured by  home fans.

“I thought I did enough to win it,” said an emotional Chilemba. “But it is what it is. I guess you can call it a hometown decision.”

The only judge who had it even, however, was the one from Canada.

“I knew I had to finish the later rounds strong, but I believe I did enough to win the fight,” the Canadian boxer said.

“I’m ready to accept the challenge. To be the world champion, you have to beat the champion. So that’s what I aim to do.”

It was a close fight with many tough rounds to score, but judges clearly favoured Alvarez’s cleaner, harder shots. The 31-year-old controlled the early rounds with his pressure, but Chilemba (24-3-2, 10 KOs) responded over the middle frames. The awkward South African was able to befuddle Alvarez with angles and was effective in the middle of the ring.

The fight was decided by Round 12, though, and Alvarez won the frame on all three cards. If Chilemba had won the final round, it would have been declared a draw.

18 thoughts on “Malawi’s ‘Golden Boy’ Chilemba loses fight of his life”

1. The Most Concerned says:

Whether he z Malawian or South African, the fact is, this boy amatha and he is Hefty rich, enanu mudzikalima kumudzi.

2. gontomois says:

i can not understand how a normal and sane person can go punching the other for no reason!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! in the name of a game, unless you are mad………. period !!!!!!!!!!

3. Phinifolo says:

Koma Chilemba ngati ukuluza kwa muzungu ndiye kwa munthu ungawine?

4. Phinifolo says:

When I read the headline, “Chilemba loses fight of his life,” I thought you were telling me/us that Chilemba died/passed away/passed on.

5. mphatso says:

that’s why idi amin stated that the best way to win a fight is just knocking down your opponent,period.

6. wamwano says:

east west you are still our hero. Umaziwa home town ndiyovuta. You are our champ

7. Brazilian Wax says:

Granted! Chilemba is a good boxer. But sometimes it nonplusses me when a society craving for supremacy fails to accept the truth. Chilemba is not 100% Malawi, he is born to Malawian father and South African mother. And I jubilate with some reservations at his standing as Malawi flag carrier. The same holds true with Barack Obama. When he won the US presidency, there was euphoria in Africa that a black person has become the US president. But truth be told Obama is genetically black and white. He was born to an African father and to a white mother. He is a half cast. If for example, Shasha Masamba takes his boxing carrier to intercontinental standards then I will be home and dry that an original Malawian has made it. Likewise if Ben Carson wins the US presidency then it will be undisputable that a black man is the US president.

8. Chitapata says:

I told u to win tko’s, za ma points adzingokubelani basi achimwene.

9. G says:

Don’t worry Chilemba. Its just a lesson learnt. Pick up and move ahead. Work hard and work smart. Better days ahead. Malawi loves you

10. nyu says:

Proud of you!

11. All days are not sunday badeh we know everthing what hapened on dat match keep it up Chilemba Malawi has on Map coz of u brooh just aply 4 rematch

12. Mirella K says:

‘Malawi’s boxer’…..’The Awkward South African’….Just who is Chilemba? Is he a malawian or a South African???

13. Fartgate says:

Shaaaaaaaa

14. Titakhuta Tinatero says:

I like the boy

15. Lucky Shawa says:

Life goes on.

16. S'KONO M'KAMWA says:

Isaac, you are great boxer and a pride of our nation. Ask for a rematch tournament and I assure you, you will win this time around.

17. Myao says:

still loved, keep fighting Golden Boy, we’ve got a bunch of 193 idiots somewhere in Nyasaland waiting to be punched, ru ready??

18. Mr Phee says:

Inuso tamalembani zoveka apa, he looses fight of his LIFE? What do you mean?