MP Lunguzi calls for review of Malawian Airlines deal with Ethiopian Airlines: ‘ Joint venture not benefitting Malawi’

Outspoken  Malawi Congress Party (MCP) Dedza East member of parliament Juliana Lunguzi has argued that there should be a review of  the joint venture of Malawi government and Ethiopian Airlines on Malawian Airlines, saying it is not benefiting the country.

Malawian airlines ladies

Lunguzi said in parliament in her contribution the President Peter Mutharika’s State of the Nation Address (Sona).

She asked government to submit a report outlining the benefits of the country.

“We need a report from the Minister of Transport and Public Works on how much this counry has benefitted from Malawian Airlines,” said Lunguzi.

“We need this report because some of us have received reports that the deal is not benefitting Malawi. Now, if Malawi is not benefitting, why do we still need it?.”

Under the terms of the agreement, Ethiopian Airlines hold a 49 per cent shareholding in the start-up carrier with the remaining 51 per cent equity in the hands of the Malawian Government and Malawian private investors.

Through this strategic partnership, Ethiopian and Malawian Airlines offer harmonised flight schedules so as to provide seamless and best connectivity options for travellers within, to and from the Southern Africa region.

 

Follow and Subscribe Nyasa TV :

Please share this Article if you like Email This Post Email This Post

More From Nyasatimes

More From the World

15 thoughts on “MP Lunguzi calls for review of Malawian Airlines deal with Ethiopian Airlines: ‘ Joint venture not benefitting Malawi’”

  1. I beg to differ. Having faced the challenges of travelling by air during the demise of Air Malawi, I know flying within the region and beyond is alot simpler than it was. You can also count on Malawian Airlines to keep time.

    The airline business takes a long time to turn a profit.

    Let us ensure we get our information from professionals in the respective fields and fully understand the original business plan.

  2. Jesus is Lord says:

    When I flew to Lilongwe, I had a choice between SAA and Malawian. I didn’t want to use SAA but they take 2h20m for the same price, Malawian takes 4h as it goes to Blantyre first. So sadly SAA was a no-brainer.

  3. Mwiko says:

    Abwerenso Joyce Banda azagulitsenso ndege zimenezi! Akubwera 2019 asazazipeze

    1. Emtak says:

      hahahaha i like ur comment……

  4. RoyK says:

    Airline ✈ business is mainly about planes not just an airport Juliana. You liquidate your airline throug multiple corrupt strategies and expect Malawi to benefit through partnership? Shameful indeed. Malawi was better off long time ago than current

  5. nyasimmaso says:

    Lets hope those who have commented has vast knowledge in as far as aviation is concerned. History has it that Malawi had a friendly airline during the time of Mbilizi an Mchungula. But kunangolowa achakuluma anachotsako anthu anzeru aja ndikuyikako mbuli. And again wnen you go to other countries we have 1 international airport and all other domestic flights are in the hand ot flights of national origin. In this case for instance. Enthiopian airline was supposed to make agreement with Malawian airlines to transport it passangers to KIA not like wise. That 1 way of supporting indigenous business. Thats the trend in Mexico. KLM made agreement with Aero Mexico to take its passengers within the country. The same could have been the case in Malawi, and Malawian Airline could have been enforced and more companies could be established. That means instead of having 2 sustandard international airport we can have 1 big standard airport. Just like FR Kennedy

  6. S. Woldemariam says:

    The equity stakes speak for themselves! If the venture goes well (as it probably will because of ET), Malawi will benefit 51% and ET 49%. If it goes bad, of course Malawi will suffer more! What does the MP expect? This is business at the primary school level.

  7. Ermias says:

    Well well well, ET needs strategical partnership,nothing more. however your Lunguzi woman needs quick money. The airline business is very dynamic and very challenging, It is not like a corner shop that you can open it to day and start selling candies, needs dedication. If I were the CEO of ET, 49% was not enough for me, unless I wanted to grow with my African brothers. We (I am Ethiopian) wanted to grow with our African brothers not only in this sector but with all aspect of business. Pan Africanism is still in our heart.
    If Malawian want to benefit from the partnership,Learn from the pro’s , learn from the big players on the African sky, it is up to you guys.

  8. Malawian Mwanavava says:

    She is very right, only that most of us commenting here our brains are so shallow in these matters. Malawi is not benefiting from this deal. Go deep into it you will find what she is saying. MALAWI I CRY FOR YOU

  9. Rudo says:

    Madam Lunguzi, you mean the minority shareholder is is also stealing what is ours on the share? Or could it be that you just want to know how the proceeds are being used, say reinvestment for business growth or channeled to account number one for us to eat it? Come out clear than sensationalizing everything. It scares investors.

  10. pathfinder says:

    I think this Lunguzi woman has lost her mind.From what i read here, she is arguing on something that she heard or should i say makambakamba. she has no proof.

  11. Tafika says:

    How can you liquidate Your National airline and Partner with big guns in airline Business while Contributing Nothing To The Deal. Cudos MrLunguzi

  12. lesley says:

    ‘Under the terms of the agreement, Ethiopian Airlines hold a 49 per cent shareholding in the start-up carrier with the remaining 51 per cent equity in the hands of the Malawian Government’….am surprised that Malawi is not benefitting from the deal

    1. kamdidi says:

      I am also surprised. Actually if we are not benefiting financially, at least we are visible in the region as these plains carry our flag…..otherwise if truth be told, ET is a huge airliner and they can do without Malawi. We need them more than they need us after we failed to sustain Air Malawi even operating domestically!

      1. Maki says:

        It is wrong to just assume that Malawi need ET. Rather, it is the other way round. ET needed Malawi as a hub to compete with SAA and Kenya Airways in southern Africa. SAA and Kenya actualy offer better services than ET! SAA does not have a hub anywhere because their high quality services speak for themselves. We had the very friendly Air Malawi with high quality pilots and we killed it just as we are doing with everything Kamuzu left for us. Stupid nation.

Comments are closed.