MP Mtonga fetes newborn babies at Chilumba hospital

Mothers with newborn babies at Chilumba rural hospital in Karonga were all smiles on Christmas day when member of parliament for the area Rev. Malani Mtonga donated assorted items to the maternity ward.

Mtonga cheers new born babies

Mtonga cheers new born babies

The legislator also held a meeting with the hospital personnel who did not hide their discontent with poor working conditions at the hospital.

The staff, especially nurses, cited as an example the issue of allowances, commonly known as locum, which they have not been paid for some years now.

On his part, Rev. Mtonga promised to take up the matter with responsible authorities at the capital hill in Lilongwe after the festive holidays.

“Today I celebrated the birth of our Lord Jesus Christ with new born babies at Chilumba rural hospital. I prepared assorted items to share with them,” said Mtonga.

He added: “During my visit to the hospital I also took the opportunity to meet with the hospital staff just to have an idea of how they are working and if possible know the challenges they are facing. Being a rural hospital, there are so many challenges which need urgent attention and I have promised them that after the festivities I will take up the key issues to the ministry headquarters in Lilongwe.”

Mtonga who previously served as special aide to two former presidents namely late Prof. Bingu wa Mutharika and Dr. Joyce Banda respectively,  further assured the hospital staff that as MP for the area he will look around for well wishers to assist with hospital materials especially beds in the male ward where patients are sleeping on the floor due to lack of beds and space.

Chilumba, like many rural hospitals in Malawi, has perennial challenges such as shortage of staff as most of personnel prefer working in urban centers.

24 thoughts on “MP Mtonga fetes newborn babies at Chilumba hospital”

1. The Patriot says:

Reverend Mtonga thumbs up! But I will still come and compete with you in 2019, keep the seat warm for me!!

2. Phwexy says:

Uwo mbumoyo wa MTONGA!!!

1. Chauteka says:

Every day we have plenty of opportunities to get angry, stressed or offended. But what you’re doing when you indulge these negative emotions is giving something outside yourself power over your happiness. You can choose to not let little things upset you. Quite encouraged by Rev Malani Mtongas gesture

3. Debs says:

I disagree with you Wambula, these are public figures unlike you and me

4. wambula mahala says:

Why most MPs when they are donating gifts to the needy they want to be on TV it is not necessary to do that it is waste of tax payers money that is part of their KPIs from the Speaker so no need to put them on TV they can do that silently no one will complain

1. We people in leadership be it in Church or in Politics We are constituted so that simple acts of kindness, such as giving to charity or expressing gratitude, have a positive effect on our long-term moods. The key to the happy life, it seems, is the good life: a life with sustained relationships, challenging work, and connections to the constituency . Bravo Hon Mtonga!

5. mtedxa says:

Uku ndiye kukhala bwana MP

6. Dom says:

Its only in Africa where men dustances themselves from anything to do with childbirth. Bravo to that proud dad in the picture. He should be crowned dad of the year.
    On the other hand, the govt if not the well wishers should build facilities favourable for men to be attending birth of their children too.
    I am a family man with kids. I ve been there for my wife from antenatal till birth. I have first hand information and I know what women go thru. I have respect for them. For my share after seeing my beautiful wife go thru that. I had no problem doing vasectomy. Fellow men , this is 21st century. Tiyeni tizizitsata. Ndizatonse izi not for our women only.

7. Tchito yabwino mr mp, ndiwochepa amayamika pacha bwino,koma chilungamo akuchidziwa. Pitilizani tchito yanu mr mp, mwakhala mp woyamba kukayendera azimayi ku Chipatala ndi kukumana ndi Staff yose tiziti zikomo. VIVA MTONGA MOTO KUTI BUUUUU 2019 BOMA

1. Apostle ABM says:

Christmas is the spirit of giving without a thought of getting. It is happiness because we see joy in people. It is forgetting self and finding time for others. It is discarding the meaningless and stressing the true values. Hon Mtonga you have just done the right thing at the right time. May the good Lord continue to shower more blessings on you and Mama Joyce Banda

8. Debs says:

Harris, you have a problem with that? Go and mop lake Malawi then. Munthu oipa iwe

9. Inno Mawaya says:

Chonde aganizireni ma nurse ndi ma Doctors. Akamenya strike tilira heavy

10. KK says:

U tried u best, same are failing to assist evin kamba jumbo 200g.

11. A COMMONER says:

Hmmmm, luking 4 publicity? We hv done donations in various places but we never caught the attention of the media. It is well.

12. nenazako says:

Hon. Mtonga, the recipients will appreciate what you gave him, may you continue in helping – don’t be discouraged.

13. Be a man says:

keep it up Rev. its the thought behind it. COntinue doing what you can do. All the best for the year

14. A MPINGO says:

MA MP ENANU MA ALLOWANCEWO ANKHANI NKHANIWO TAMADYANI NDI WOKUVOTERANI KAYA KUNGOBINYIRA BASI NOKHA ???

15. kukhala says:

YEAH THE REV ( I DISLIKE TO SAY HONOURABLE ) MP MTONGA DO THE RIGHT THING AT THE RIGHT TIME FOR THE RELEVANT COMMUNITY WHICH YOU EMPLOYED YOU .

16. chinena says:

Cement ya MUDZI TRUST yili kuti ,1200 bags

17. chulu says:

U reverend wa mchikwamwa. Dyera la ndalama basi. Kuthandiza koma kukwera pachulu kelengeza kuti dziko lonse lidziwe ….

18. Mauya says:

If all MPs did this in their respective constituencies and consequently in various ministries throughout the year their performance, in and outside the parliament would have improved for the better

19. Hai antonga musakwele pachulu palibe chazelu apa. Shit