Mphwiyo first to testify against Kasambara on shooting case

Gun-shot survivor former budget director Paul Mphwiyo will be the first prosecution witness against former Justice Minister Ralph Kasambara who  face charges of attempting to murder in the trial which begins Wednesday.

The shooting of Mphwiyo in September opened a Pandora box of the massive looting of public resources dubbed “cashgate.”

According to court documents seen by Nyasa Times, Mphwiyo is implicating Kasambara for his shooting incident.

In a sworn affidavit, Mphwiyo who was shot as he drove into his Area 43 home in Lilongwe—  said he was receiving death threats prior to his fate.

Mphwiyo ;  Gun-shot survivor

Mphwiyo ; Gun-shot survivor

The 37-year-old former budget chief claims he was receiving phones threatening his life in connection with his tough public finance and economic management measures that that have closed pilfering loopholes at Capital Hill.

Kasambara has denied any wrong doing in the shooting of Mphwiyo. He was however arrested last month on a separate charge of money laundering and was released on bail. He also denies the charges.

In the matter, ruling People’s Party spokesman Hophmally Makande is being implicated.

Billy Banda, executive director of the Blantyre-based rights group, Malawi Watch has said the case “holds the key to the truth” on cashgate scandal.

“The former justice minister has named President Joyce Banda as his key witness. We want to know how involved the president was in this cashgate saga,” said MalawiWatch boss as quoted by Bloomberg on Tuesday.

President Banda, 63, has denied involvement in graft and vowed to press ahead with investigations into corruption even if it means she loses elections scheduled for this year.

 

Follow and Subscribe Nyasa TV :

Please share this Article if you like Email This Post Email This Post

More From Nyasatimes

More From the World

Comments are closed.