A member of parliament from the governing Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) told parliament that President Peter Mutharika has compressed the four cornerstones touted by founding President Kamuzu Banda into three pillars.

President Peter Mutharika: Three solid pillars

President Peter Mutharika: Three solid pillars

Kamuzu who ruled the country for over 30 years, until 1994, wanted his people to observe what he called the four cornerstones; unity, loyalty, obedience, and discipline.

MP for Neno North Emmanuel Hirario Lozo said in parliament that Mutharika has packed together the four into “three solid pillars”, urging all Malawians to “accept the reality on the ground” and join hands in a positive manner in finding ways of developing the nation.

He said Kamuzu came with four cornerstone vision “as a tool of building this nation he had done a commendable home work of ascertaining that it was the best and only way of building Malawi nation to greater heights.”

Lozo said the nation should be “proud of such a kick start.”

He said President Mutharika has not condemned such an approach.

“What the State President had done is to condense the four corner tones to three solid pillars as yet another means of building the nation.  The pillars I am talking about are integrity, hard-working, and patriotism. These are the bases of constructing a nation with vigour,” said Lozo.

He said with the three solid pillars also promote unity, loyalty and discipline.

According to Lozo, the three pillars are “a clear manifestation of a committed leader who has this nation at his heart and this leader is none other than the State President Professor Arthur Peter Mutharika. “

Under the four cornerstones, Kamuzu was often viewed externally as the head of a repressive police state where no dissent was tolerated. Opponents were either exiled or killed.

However, during Kamuzu rule, education standards, health facilities and agriculture were given paramount importance.

Banda became the first President of Malawi on July 6, 1966, when Malawi was declared a one-party republic. He then declared himself president for life in 1971.

23 thoughts on “Mutharika has condensed Kamuzu’s four cornerstones into three pillars, say MP Lozo”

1. Winston Msowoya says:

Mr KUNO KU GWERO PRISON,I think I won’t waste my precious time arguing with a dumb frankeinstein’s monster.Please read your history of Nyasaland/ Malawi so that you get informed of authentic history which you can base your arguments,otherwise close your stinking beak.

2. Winston Msowoya says:

Hallo kuno ku Gwero!!! Anyway,usually Iam not a fan of aphonic people otherwise nobody will distinguish between him and me.In short,this guy lacks normal human decency.He does not know why I used Gwero Hotel.When I was transferred from Buluwayo Central Prison to Harare Central Prison in July,1985 because of my political activities against Banda’s diabolical regime,a prison truck stopped at Gwero to wait for other prisoners from nearby precincts.While in there,the Commanding officer Mr.Kotze who happened to be a bloody fascist Boer,approached me and asked about my nationality,I told him that I was a Malawian.Forthwith,he grabbed my right hand and took me to the rooms where Banda,Yatuta,Dunduzu, Masauko Chipembere and many others were kept.He was particularly emphatic on Banda’s private rooms which were by far more elegant than the others.He asked me whether I could tell him why Banda was accommodated differently from others,I told him because the rogue was the leader of the Party.He nodded,and confidently he told me that partly I was right but,the crucial reason was that top British officials used to visit him during the midnights to discuss about the future of Nyasaland.I asked him why others like Dinduzu,Yatuta and Chipembere were subsequently not invited,he paused a minute and told me confidentially that the rooms in ( Gwero Hotel) are fitteted with things such as private telephones,fax printers,cumputers and a television set and continued to say what I expected to hear from him that it is from these three rooms that Banda sold your dear independence through BUTLER/ BANDA CONSTITUTION.I have told you the reason why I used Gwero Hotel and you tell the whole story why you disagreed with me.Little education is always dangerous!!!

3. concerned citizen says:

Kennedy Kalolo. We say looting not rooting. Lets write proper english on the public media chonde!!.

4. Kenkkk says:

You stupid neno mp, Peter hasn’t condensed the kamuzu 4 cornerstones into Peter’s stupid 3. Peter can’t even follow his own cornerstones.

Kamuzu corner stones cover almost everything that is required in the country including peter’s 3. The same can’t be said about peter’s 3. Peter you are no kamuzu, so just stick with your incompetences and bootlickers like this mp.

5. kennedy kalolo says:

Four cornerstones in a lawlessness country? Imagine my fellow Albinos, public funds rooting, deteriorating of health and education standards. Just to mention but a few. Anti Ulakalaka wati.

6. kennedy kalolo says:

Four cornerstones in a lawlessness country? Imagine my fellow Albinos, public funds rooting, deteriorating of health and education standards,

7. youna says:

No wonder anthu a ku Neno anali literally naked. Amaganiza muvutikira. kkkkkk

8. KUNO KU GWERU PRISON says:

WAS THIS BOOTLICKER
    DRUNK OR SMOKED A
    BIG CIGAR OF MBANJE
    FROM MALIWA (NKHOTA KOTA)
    WHEN HE WAS MAKING
    HIS CONTRIBUTION ???

HOW CAN HE / SHE
    COMPARE NGWAZI’S ADMNISTRATION WHEN PEOPLE
    USED TO HAVE ENOUGH FOOD ALL THE
    THE YEAR ROUND WITH NO CONDITIONS TO EAT ONLY ONCE A DAY AND DRINK MORE WATER MORE ESPECIALLY PATIENTS IN HOSPITALS ??

AND YOU TELL PEOPLE
    ALL THIS NONSENSE OF
    FOUR COURNER STONES ??

IT DOESNT WORK LIKE THAT;
    SORRY.

TALK OF YOUR OWN STOMACH
    MR. MP LOZO.

9. Winston Msowoya says:

As one lucid Malawian commented before on this issue,it is precisely correct that it was late Orton Edgar Ching’oli Chirwa who framed the four cornerstones of the MCP when he was the first and founder President of former dreaded MCP when Banda was still in Gwero Hotel.The life Presidency was bestowed on him by the MCP conference in Nkota Kota in the late 1960s,spearheaded by two diehard opportunists in the names of John Tembo and late Aleke Banda.

10. Khumbo says:

But whether you like it or not DPP2019 will win the elections. Mark my words. Olira azingolirabe ndithu

11. Winston Msoswoya says:

Peter Muthalika,even though you and me were members of PDP led by one of the most brilliant and indisputable nationalists Masauko Chipembere,in Tanzania,I have to state candidly that the respect I had then with many of my colleagues on you,is all gone today.I did not expect you would become such an inept leader of our loved mother Malawi.I was prepared to return home after 32 years in exile atrocious life,but Iwas somehow reluctant during Muluzi’s second disastrous term and your corrupt brother’s second term.I thank God for his guidance.I thought to remain in exile first and study the political situation back home.Thanks the supreme being for his kind advice to me that has led to open my eyes and sustain my political judgement hitherto.However,Muthalika’s recent ideals like I quote: Urging all Malawians to accept the reality on the ground and join hands in positive manner in finding ways of developing the nation.Of course unlike Banda’s four cornerstones which were deliberately designed to brainwash Malawians.These so called ” 4 corner stones” have brutally and intentionally led Malawians into their own political coffins for thirty solid years.As I have said,I wholeheartedly support Muthalika’s recent so-called cornerstones,but Iam at least discouraged that Muthalika does not seem to do what he thinks is good to Malawians,in other ways,he goes parallel to his own judgement.Muthalika,will you please tell Malawians what are you intending to do with the present shameful and destructive economic and political turmoil? If you have accepted your wrong doings,we expect you to change your wrong political and economic trends.GOD BLESS OUR MOTHERLAND!!!!

12. dikila says:

Very soon we will have a third ngwazi wopanda mano nkamwa zopusa basi.

13. Gwanda says:

Kulakalaka fundo ngati zo Ngwazi. Aphunzire kaye kusunga mwambo. Paja alibe polobulemu. Cardiac arrest ikamupeza, Hon. Lozo mudzakumbukira Kamuzu ndi ngodya zinayi zake.

14. Chambe says:

This is nonses! We voted out this monster Kamuzu who displaced so many people. Who tortured and killed many who opposed his rule. Who boasted throwing his people to crocks for food. He maimed his people in many different ways. He tortured me and and I nearly lost my life.
    I don’t even want to see or hear anything to do with this animal called Kamuzu because he used the very cornerstones as a reason to kill his people. I don’t know what’s wrong with these useless MPs making this stupid comparison.

15. Yatuta says:

No, to make records correct, he did not make himself life President but stupid people from the north mafe him life president at Marymount convention.

16. Yatuta says:

For correction Kamuzu did not make himself a life President but people of the north during Marymount convesion, made him life president. It was wrong.

17. 2016 welcome says:

Uku ndiye Kufuna kukweza changa m’mwambatu. Kapena mufuna kupempha recognition? Mungodziipitsira mbiri chabe a MP. Muphwisa pagulu.

18. Baba says:

Go and do a thorough research on who made Kamuzu Life President before you confirm unforgivable ignorance and stupidity….

19. the eye and ear says:

The four corners stones were formulated by Orton Chirwa and his group when they formed the MCP and that time Kamuzu was still in detention in Gweru, Rhodesia.

When Kamuzu came out of detention he found MCP already formed with its first president Orton Chirwa at the helm and the corner stones in place with Orton Chirwa appearing on the first MCP membership card.

Let us inform the nation correctly. These are facts and not wishful thinking. Its high time Malawians started talking correct history, at last we are free.

20. The Analyst says:

Integrity, hard-work and patriotism? . . . . ?

. . . If the leadership of this country has any aorta of integrity, why is it convicted by their own conscience hence fail to conclude Muluzi’s 1.7bn case despite glaring evidence in bank accounts and everywhere that the money was indeed stolen?
    . . . If the leadership claims to be patriotic to this country, why is it failing to bring to book those cashgate bigwigs when we all know them or him or her OR to seize cashgate property of those already convicted and take back the money to Malawi?
    . . . And what has the leadership done thus far, to claim or instill the hard-working spirit in its people? if not next to nothing?

Is it not better to do more and speal little?
    ………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..
    . . . Do you think that Kamuzu just preached those four cornerstones? Ha, you will be surprised to be told that Kamuzu also lived those cornerstones; as did his people. Whether the people respected him or feared him or both, the cornerstones would be seen to be lived by.

. . . Let it be known that it is fine to lie to others; but the worst thing any person can do, as far as the art of lying is concerned; is to lie to themselves.
    . . . Now stop lying to yourself or yourselves, coz you people have no any molecule of integrity (since you are a people that can’t be trusted), or any sense of patriotism (coz you have demonstrated you dont love your country) or whatever. And therefore cant instil the same, in anybody.
    O……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………O

21. Dikisan says:

Donot confuse people, Kamuzu never declare himself Life President in 1971. We are there the Malawi Congress Party Gurus were the ones who declare Kamuzu Life President. Similary Late Bingu was known as Ngwazi not by himself. It was the DPP Gurus who declare him Ngwazi after seeing the work of his hands.

22. BOKHO says:

So if you a member of Parliament from Neno say Mthalika has condensed the four cornerstones to three surely integrity, hard working and patriotism. where is obedience. You can manage the country if your own people are not obedient. Even a father at the house hold level, if your children are not obedient then they become either become thugs or thieves. That is why cash gate MK577 billion stolen. You couldn’t see any one during the leadership of Kamuzu people stealing from account no 1. Rubbish govt.

23. Stupid gvt says:

A fool MP, an idiot lyk ur so called professor president! What ll this help to develop Malawi! From when ppo of Malawi started working hard 4 their country? What changes the country shows! U just enjoying the allowances n tax payers money! Rubbish gvt