Life has given me an opportunity to interact with many people who have positively shaped my being. These are people with principles and abilities in themselves. In life you need mentors to build and make you believe in yourself.
I owe a lot to my parents and entire family, renowned intellectuals such as Prof Thandika Mkandawire, Uncle Prof David Rubadiri and Prof Mahmud Mamdani, my comrade Ollen Mwalubunju, my mentor in Christ Pastor Elijah Chisiza whom GOD sent to pick me from the world, my brother Gift Trapence for the protection of sexual minorities and numerous others, all these are a source of support and inspiration to my life.
I remember my days in exile with Ollen discussing how we could help in the liberation our nation from oppression. In those days though hoping against hope we strongly believed in the existence of the Center for Human Rights and Rehabilitation (CHRR) in a post Kamuzu Banda era. Thank God for making our dreams come to pass, the dreams of contributing to make Malawi a better place. Surely you will agree the relevancy of CHRR cannot be overshadowed, CHRR has made a mark and will continue for generations to come.
Let me confess that I have always admired this Godly man, Jesus Christ, Jesus always inspiresme for his values and nature of living, for standing for the voiceless and his sacrifice to save the world from evil. Jesus is my man, the defender of the vulnerable.
In my current spiritual living Jesus has taught me lessons that might help you believe in yourselves, as you pursue your dreams, my brethren:-
- Don’t be a loud mouth, let your actionsspeak for you. Purse your dreams no matter the cirmustances around you.
- In achieving your dreams, don’t allow to be displaced by those trying to close your doors.
- Stop asking for permission to achieve your dreams. You have a special inner strength to live your life, Seek only GODs voice.
- Don’t stop standing for what you believe in even if you are persecuted or isolated.
- Know you are own best friend, but sometimes it will seem like no one can understand you or give you support. Keep on moving, encourage yourself with Jesus Christ as your only friend.
- Don’t compare yourself to others, run your own race, work on improving yourself. Be better than you were yesterday.
- Overcome obstacles, stay focused don’t be distracted by your destiny robbers, work harder to protect you rdreams.
- Don’t stay in situations that aren’t right for you. Don’t let your life become a place where you aren’t happy. Stay away from negative people, those frenemies (enemies who disguise as your friends) who are always tryto plan evil things against you. Delete them from your life, it is not a sin to do so.
If you are to succeed in this world you must seek GODs voice always. End by writing your own story and die empty!
- Undule Mwakasungula, the former director of Center for Human Rights and Rehabilitation (CHRR) and now a human rights columnist on Nyasa Times