Government has on Tuesday appointed new board members for Reserve Bank of Malawi (RBM) and Malawi Revenue Authority (MRA).
This is barely three weeks after President Lazarus Chakwera dissolved boards for over 60 parastatals.
The appointed members are all professionals.
In a statement signed by Chief Secretary to Government Zanga-Zanga Chikhosi, the appointments are with immediate effect.
Government has appointed financial expert Nico Holdings plc group managing director Vizenge Matumika Kumwenda, as Malawi Revenue Authority (MRA) board chairperson with Lincon Bailey—a mining entrepreneur with Jamaican roots, Charles Thokozani Kuyokwa and Henry Harris Chowawa as members.
Among others, Kumwenda is is Chairman of NBS Bank Plc and Managing Director and Executive Director at NICO Holdings Plc, Chairman for NICO Insurance Zambia Ltd. (a subsidiary of NICO Holdings Plc).
He is also Associate Member at Chartered Insurance Institute and on the board of six other companies.
Besides the four, other members of the MRA Board are Secretary to the Treasury, Secretary for Trade, Secretary for Industry and the RBM Governor.
The new RBM board is chaired by the Governor Dr. Wilson Banda as provided in Section 13 of the RBM Act. The arrangement to have central bank governors chair their own boards is regarded as the best practice worldwide.
Other members of the RBM Board include deputy governors, Secretary to the Treasury, Randson Philimon Mwadiwa, retired Supreme Court judge Elton Singini, Nimia Kazimbi Mzembe, Mirriam Wemba and Maxwell Mkwezalamba.
RESERVE BANK OF MALAWI ( RBM)
- Governor of the Reserve Bank of Malawi ( Chairperson).
- Deputy Governor’s of the Reserve Bank of Malawi
- Secretary to the Treasury .
- Mr Randson Phillimon Mwadiwa – Non Executive Director.
- Justice Elton Mawina Singini – Non Executive Director.
- Ms Nimia Kambili Mzembe – Non Executive Director.
- Mrs Mirriam Wemba – Non Executive Director.
- Dr Maxwell Mkwezalamba – Non Executive Director.
MALAWI REVENUE AUTHORITY ( MRA).
- Mr Vizenge Kumwenda ( Chairperson ).
- Mr Lincon Bailey – Member.
- Mrs Dharles Thokozani Kuyoka – Member .
- Mr Henry Harris Chowawa – Member.
- Secretary to the Treasury.
- Secretary to Trade .
- Secretary to Industry.
- Governor of the Reserve Bank of Malawi .