Consumer rights activist John Kapito has asked Malawi President Joyce Banda has suggested a ten-point plan the government should adopt to help it in its economic recovery
Kapito said Banda’s austerity measures to cut government expenditure and implementation of the Economic Recovery Plan (ERP) can only be taken seriously with more gestures.
He is suggesting that government should:
- reduce local and international travel
- trim size of entourages on such travels
- trim size of convoy by 50 percent
- sell all ministerial cars
- ministers should travel economy class
- sell some state residences
- reduce number of ministers by half
- abolish support staff to ministers, such as personal assistants.
Kapito, who is the executive director of the Consumers Association of Malawi (Cama), also faulted the President Joyce Banda’s justification of her travels and the size of entourage, saying the defence was just making Malawians angry.
Malawians join the debate, have your say on Kapito’s suggestions by commenting below.Follow and Subscribe Nyasa TV :