Football Association of Malawi (FAM) has nullified earlier squad that was expected to face China on 28th January as part of the commemorations marking the official opening of the magnificent state-of-the-art Bingu National Stadium in Lilongwe.
Flames Technical Panel through the association released a 29 man strong squad that was expected to go into camp this Sunday 15th January to start preparations for the international friendly.
But in a dramatic turn of events, the Malawi FA on Friday released a statement informing the general public that the earlier squad has been cancelled and that it will be reviewed.
According to a statement from the FA signed by its General Secretary Alfred Gunda, they have now settled to come up with a developmental squad comprising of uncapped young stars.
Gunda said this will be part of exposing new talent as well as to crack new pool of talent.
“We have three major tasks ahead if we include Cosafa and looking at where we are coming from. We need to create a new crop of players for the senior national team. More than half of the players that we had
called earlier have been in the Flames set up before” Gunda is quoted by MAlawi FA Website.
“So we are replacing the regulars with Under 23 players to be assessed for inclusion in the CHAN and Afcon plans” added Gunda.
He said the development will assist Flames Care Taker Coach Gerald Phiri and his Assistant Decklerk Msakakuona who are also Junior Flames (Under 20 and 17 coaches respectively) to complement their efforts of nurturing young talent for elite performances which he said they already started in their previous Cosafa assignments last year.
“We sincerely apologise for the inonvinience caused by the review” concluded Gunda.