A private law firm has been granted by the High Court to lodge  an application to commit  to prison Minister of Home Affairs and Internal Security Grace Chiumia  and Inspector General of Police Lexten Kachama  to prison for contempt of court for allegedly failing to comply with a Malawi Supreme Court of Appeal order.

Minister Chiumia and Kachama face contempt of court

Chiumia and Kachama risked to be jailed for failing to comply with the court order which Supreme Court judge Lovemore Chikopa gave on August 23 2016, ordering the two to undertake some steps within 21 days to facilitate movement of goods—police uniforms—from Mozambique to Malawi, duty free.

The applicant, Africa Commercial Agency, entered into a contract with Malawi government to supply uniforms for Malawi Police Service (MPS) according to the court record.

Justice Healy Potani during an finter-partes hearing for committal to prison on Wednesday in his chamber granted leave to  lawyer for Africa Commercial Agency, Lusungu Gondwe to start the court process to move for contempt of court against the two.

The date for commencement of the  committal to prison is yet to be set.

Judiciary spokesperson Mlenga Mvula confirmed  that Attorney General (AG) Kalekeni Kaphale,  was represented by Jean Priminta, who asked for an adjournment because their lawyer handling the matter, Apoche Itimu,  was away.

Priminta said she was only sent to seek adjournment.

But Lusungu Gondwe objected to a plea of adjournment, saying the reasons were mot plausible.

Justice Potani agree with Gondwe and granted leave to start committal to prison process.

22 thoughts on “Malawi judge approves to commit Minister Chiumia, Police chief Kachama to prison over contempt of court”

1. lucius says:

DPP ili mmavuto

2. Dauya says:

I have had similar problem with the window blocking comments box and comments section especially when I’m using my mobile phone with chrome or explorer. But I can comment when using opera. Try with Opera

3. mahope a obama says:

Kodi nsanje bwanji? cholinga mahope anzanu akalowe basi mwayilira. Azibambo nsanje, mkazi akakana basi mumupezele zifukwa muthane naye. Amene akulimbana ndi mahope angawa ndithana naye, Obama boma, 2019 running mate.

4. Malawian says:

Another problem nyasatimes should work is where we find more stories at the end of our story page. You are showing us unrelated and old stories with no link the news we are reading. We used to enjoy seeing a background of our stories from more stories at the end of our page. You are making this page so boring.

5. Tione says:

Osaiwalanso Chaponda!

6. j banda says:

koma DPP ili mmavuto

7. popapo says:

Malawi Lawyers “EVERYTHING GOES ” !!!!

8. Willy nyasulu says:

Koma ku mw ziliko..

9. Kafadala Kuno says:

Let me concur with Mr Please who has asked your page to remove this window which pops up at the right side of the screen when you are on the computer and on the entire comment side when reading Nyasatimes on phone.I have tried to remove it but to no avail, you can’t read or write a comment. Let your technical team check this problem, otherwise you are the source of reliable news on line

1. Mind Reader says:

Very Very irritating indeed. The whole of this website is full of viruses. Please, clean up your servers, our phones and laptops are being infected everyday.

2. Thola says:

am having some problem tied seeing same picture every time.

10. Yeess says:

Nyasa Times please pay attention to this message from my fellow reader:

“Nyasatimes, may you please remove this window, “MORE IN NATIONAL” which appears at the right side of the screen? Where currently, there is Kubalasa and Nsanje Chief Malemia. Its blocking my view whenever I access Nyasatimes on my mobile. Sadly, we are not given the option to remove it. Honestly, its killing the game. ”

I thought I was alone. I have this problem too. Nyasatimes, please remove this window. It annoys so much. you cant comment, and you cant see comments either because of this Nsanje Chiefs and Malawi Govt Ministries” windows.

1. Mind Reader says:

11. Nganya says:

You saying you have a problem with a window coming on your right side, I also had the same problem on the laptop. What you need to do is to zoom in or reduce the size of everthing on your screen then it will go to its place at the corner and you will be able to read everything. It has nothing to do with set up from Nyasa Times.

12. Please says:

1. Chakudza says:

i agree with you. Please Nyasatimes, do the needful

2. Ine says:

I second this.

3. Ine says:

Scroll until you find the top right hand corner of the pop-up. Click the “x”

4. Mute says:

You are right, this pop up window is very irritating!

1. Mind Reader says:

13. Wilfred says:

bwanji ma koti athu akuderereka?Amangidwe!