Malawi Queens Coach Griffin ‘Zagalo’ Saenda has described their preparations for the Fast Netball World Series which will take place at the Superb Vector Arena in Auckland, New Zealand from 9-11 November, 2012 as promising for the team to scoop a better position.
Version 2.0 of the shortened form of the game, which has been rebranded “Fast5”, will be unveiled in Auckland in November, with New Zealand hosting the tournament for the first time.
Saenda saidMalawi Queens team is ready for the new format.
“We were working on endurance because the Fast5 format is different from the rest of the tournaments,” said Saenda.
As the name suggests, teams have been cut down to five, doing away with the wing attack and wing defence positions. New scoring zones have been introduced, with one point awarded for the inner circle, two points for long-range shots inside the circle, and three points for shots taken from outside the circle.
“We are coping with the new format and we will want to do well,” said Saenda.
The last time, the Queens participated in the same tournament in Manchester they managed to hold the number one team in the World, Australia.
The top six Netball teams in the World, according to the IFNA World Rankings, will compete in the new Fast5 format which has a number of key changes to the previous competition.
Fast5 World Series
Vector Arena, Auckland
Competing nations: New Zealand, Australia, England, Jamaica, Malawi, South Africa
Fast5 Ferns team
Shooters: Mwayi Kumwenda, Sindi Simutowe, Jessica Mazengera, Cecilia Mtukule and JaneChimaliro
Midcourt: Bridget Kumwenda, Beatrice Kadango, Thandiwe Magaleta and Tina Kamzati
Defence: Caroline Ngwira, Joanna Kachilika, Jessica Chiwoloka, Lauren Ngwira, Towera
Vinkhumbo and Beauty Chirwa.
* Fast5 matches consist of four six-minute quarters.
* Each team consists of 10 players with a maximum of five on court at any time.
* Teams may use unlimited substitutions via the substitution box adjacent their team bench at intervals or during play.
* There are three scoring areas in the Fast5 form of the game with areas for one, two and three goal points.
* Both sides get a powerplay quarter with their goal points for that quarter being doubled. Teams cannot take their powerplay quarters at the same time.