Malawi teen girl abducted, sexually abused for 11 days

A 17-year-old girl from Mkhota Village, T/A Santhe in Malawi’s central region tobacco growing district of Kasungu is reeling from trauma after a 27-year-old man abducted and held her captive in his house and turned her into a sex slave for 11 days.

The girl (name withheld) narrated her ordeal on Wednesday December 12 three days after fleeing to freedom. She spent the three days at Kasungu Police Station’s Victim Support Unit for shelter and counseling as she was too scared to go back home.

“I was on my way to church for choir practices when I met him [the suspect],” she began recounting events of November 29, 2012 the day of her abduction.

She continued pointing at a scar of a cut on her forehead: “He told me he wanted to chat with me and when I refused he severely beat me up until blood flowed from my head, picked me in his arms and took me to his house where I was locked up in a room.”

Rape victim: Freed

The girl said her shouts for help yielded nothing as some community members including her father who rushed to her abductor’s heavily fortified house proved too helpless to do something about her situation.

He  is said to have threatened with death every person who came to the house to plead for the girl’s release.

Meanwhile, behind the confines of the room she was kept, life was hell for her in the hands of the abductor.

“While in the room he kept beating me up and repeatedly raped me every time he pleased,” she said.

Asked how many times she was raped in a day she said “he could sleep with me three times during the day and another three times during the night and whenever I refused he beat up.”

She further alleged that during the entire period of her captivity she was given food only three times and allowed to bath only once.

Her freedom day only came when on the afternoon of December 9 her abductor left for a football match at Mkhota School Ground but forgot to lock the doors and the gate.

She will however have to wait a bit longer to confirm her freedom as doctors at Kasungu District Hospital who treated her for injuries sustained at the hands of her abductor advised that she returns to the hospital after three months for HIV test.

“When I discovered that the doors were not locked I sneaked out and ran to my freedom,” she said adding her parents rushed her to Santhe Police Unit from where she was referred to Kasungu Police Station.

Police have since arrested the suspect.

Kasungu Police Public Relations Officer Sub Inspector Edwin Kaunda confirmed the arrest in an interview Thursday.

He identified the suspect as Kondwani Mkwezalamba from the same area. He said he has since been charged with abduction pending further investigations.

Edwin Kaunda, Kasungu Police PRO

Follow and Subscribe Nyasa TV :

Sharing is caring!

Follow us in Twitter
oldest most voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Read previous post:
Black Moses case: Court gives State ultimatum to bring evidence

Blantyre Magistrates Court has given the State up to next month to provide evidence in a court case against Black...