Malawi National Examination Board (Maneb) says it has disqualified 392 candidates who were part of this year’s Malawi School Certificate of Education (MSCE) examinations.
However, the figure far much lower comparing to last year where more than 2,000 candidates were disqualified for various reasons.
Maneb on Friday, released the 2013 MSCE examination results with 66,853 candidates out of 127,383 who sat for the examinations qualifying for the award of MSCE certificates, representing a 52 .48 percent pass rate.
In an interview with Nyasa Times, Maneb Public Relations Officer, Simeon Maganga said apart from disqualifying some candidates, several others and some schools have had their examination results withheld.
“The disqualified candidates contravened Maneb regulations. The withholding of results is either because the schools did not fully pay Maneb ID processing fee or the concerned students are suspected to have contravened Maneb regulations,” explained Maganga.
Some of the contravened regulations include failure to properly conduct or administer examinations as required and failure to enforce set rules.
Maganga said this year the institution managed to release the results on time based on the Examination circle, which starts from December and ends in November.
This year’s 52.48 pass rate is slightly higher from last year’s 51.8 percent that was said to be lower than the previous year.
However, this year’s examinations were marred with leakages as some candidates were arrested after being found with examination papers.