Up in smoke! Fire guts 151 bales of barley tobacco

Fire that erupted  from a binding fault of a truck, SCANIA registration number BR 5516 burned into ashes all the 151 bales of barley tobacco on board.

Up in smoke
Up in smoke
Tobacco bales gutted
Tobacco bales gutted

The tobacco bales belonged to various farmers and were being delivered to Chinkhoma Auction Floors Kasungu for sales. The incident occurred on 18 August,2016 at the junction of Estate 81 along Lilongwe-Mzuzu road.

Facts are that, on the material day Mr Gabriel Mkwinda, 39 of Kanjuchi village, Traditional Authority Khosolo in Mzimba district was driving the vehicle in question from the direction of Mzuzu.

Upon reaching Estate 81turn off, the vehicle developed a binding fault that caused fire sparks.

The fire sparks after contacting with some bales of tobacco resulted into fire which gutted the whole bales of tobacco on board. Efforts to put off the fire were made but all in vain as all the bales of tobacco in question went out it flames.

However, the vehicle was not damaged completely by the fire as the flaming tobacco bales were thrown down from the vehicle before it had caught fire.

Value of the damaged tobacco is hot advised yet.

Kasungu Police spokesman  Harry Namwaza said: “ We are yet to establish how many faremers are the victims  but they were contracted to Limbe Leaf Tobacco Limited.”

Follow and Subscribe Nyasa TV :

Sharing is caring!

Follow us in Twitter
1 Comment
oldest most voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
chimpeni james
5 years ago

I choose to differ here…someone had set fire onto the bales and not brake binding fault…..

Read previous post:
Phalombe man impregnates two step-daughters, arrested

Malawi  Police in Phalombe have arrested a 43-year-old man for allegedly impregnating his two step-daughters in a roll. The victims...