Wanderers out of Carlsberg Cup Malawi: Blue Eagles through

Squarely two weeks after Big Bullets were exited from the K30 million Carlsberg Cup, their bitter rivals Mighty Wanderers, alias ‘Nyerere’ or the Nomads have been thrown out of the Carlsberg party after going down 3-2 to a highly charged Blue Eagles in a controversial round-of-16 clash played Saturday, November 03, 2012 at Balaka Stadium.

It was a game full of drama and controversy as evidenced by four  penalties and two red cards awarded by Mzuzu based referee Mabvuto Msimuko.

Blue Eagles opened the score-sheet barely nine minutes into the game through Innocent Bokosi, who was left unmarked on Wanderers’ left flank. The striker raced towards Wanderers goal unchallenged and his first attempt was blocked by Wanderers’ goalkeeper Richard Chipuwa
before he headed in the loose ball home.

Patrick Masanjala claimed the second goal for Eagles from the penalty spot a minute into first half added time following a handball by Wanderers’ defender Francis Mlimbika.

Chipuwa walks out after seeing red.-Photo by Paul Mutharike/Nyasa Times

Things turned sour for Nyerere in the second half, when Chipuwa was given marching orders after fouling advancing striker Charles Ngosi in a one on one situation.

Ngosi converted the resultant penalty to make it 3-0 for Eagles.

Blue Eagles’ had also a share of the misfortune when their match maker Macium Mhone was given marching orders for climbing the fence in celebration for the third goal. The midfielder had already been booked in the first half for a foul.

Flames midfielder Joseph ‘Shakira’ Kamwendo brought some hopes for Nomads’ faithful after converting two penalty kicks awarded to the Nomads in the 76th and 78th minutes.

The first penalty came after a handball by an Eagles defender and the second one was awarded after a
foul on Wanderers’ striker Cuthbert Sinetre.


Eagles coach Deklerk Msakakuona said he had told his boys to forget about their recent 1-0 victory over the Nomads in the TNM Super League.

“I told the boys to go flat out and attack and we outplayed our opponents in almost every department,” said Msakakuona.

Wanderers team manager Chiyembekezo Zidana congratulated Blue Eagles for winning the game but had no kind words for the Mzuzu based referee, who did not add any extra time despite a number of stoppages.

“When our goalkeeper was given a red card, the game stopped for almost 10 minutes then on three occasions, Eagles players left the pitch to celebrate their goals. How come the referee ended the match at exactly 45 minutes,” wondered Zidana.

Follow and Subscribe Nyasa TV :

Sharing is caring!

Follow us in Twitter
oldest most voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Read previous post:
PP Provincial Chair imposes MP on constituents

Tension has started heating up in People’s Party’s (PP) Chitipa South (Nthalire) constituency after the party’s Provincial Chairperson for the...