Malawi Foreign Affairs Minister George Chaponda sounded power hungry on Sunday when he hinted on the possibility of being favoured to lead the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) in 2019 elections.

Chaponda: I have never been dropped as minister, am productive

Chaponda: I have never been dropped as minister, am productive

The development comes amid reports that President Peter Mutharika is grooming Chaponda, who comes from the Lomwe belt the DPP’s strong hold, to be his successor .

Speaking on  Zodiak radio’s  Tiuzeni Zoona programme on Sunday, Chaponda fell short of accepting that he wants the top job, only saying that if he was still at the UN he would be eying the position of Secretary General.

“I worked for the UN, there my dream was to be the Secretary General but I came back to help my country and now you want to throw me stones,” he said adding, “No. No. I will not accept it. I am here in my country and will never leave again.”

Further pressed to come clean if he really wants to be President, Chaponda was elusive only outlining his potential to the interviewer.

“Don’t put words in my mouth. But I have been in politics for too long. I have never been fired as Minister. I am a performer. The work of my hands must speak for me….so let people say whatever they want,” said Chaponda.

Put to him that by frequently sending him abroad to represent the President means that  Mutharika is grooming him, Chaponda said it was his job to travel as Foreign Affairs Minister.

“All the meetings require me as Foreign Affairs not Vice President. After all, I do a good job. The trip to India I brought 400 million dollars. They gave it to me after negotiations and then the newspapers rate me 20 percent. That’s an attack on me and they don’t know what they are doing. But after serving the United Nations, it is now time to serve my country and I will not run away. I will die here,” said a charged Chaponda.

In the interview he also dismissed that he personally and the DPP government are linked to the 577 billion kwacha scandal before cashgate which the interviewer said could be the reason that donors are not opening aid taps.

“That’s a lie. I am not involved and the DPP is not involved. You all know who stole your money. People have mentioned Joyce Banda,” he alleged.

The interview concentrated more on Chaponda’s ambition to be the next president of Malawi which he betrayed himself by showing signs that indeed there is a plot to seek Plot number1 tenancy.

22 thoughts on “Chaponda hints at presidential run: Malawi foreign minister touts works of his hands”

1. The Partriot says:

A lhomwe, bwanji dyela chonchi? Mukufuna inu nokha ndiye mudzilamulira? You mean you cannot survive without government coffers and positions?
    One day Mulhako udzadziwa how to make a living outside government, JB showed you just the tip of the iceberg, Chakwera will trim you to size.
    Chakwera akadzangowina, ma Embassy wonse will be purged of Mulhako, ma Parastatals, Quota systemmjdzatha, koma eh mudzalimba?

2. Kaseeila says:

za ziiiiiii……maloto eti…

3. Ndongera says:

Abalae do not waste to time thinking Chaponda DPP will rule this country gain other than Chakwera and the MCP. PCP boma 2019 woye. The country will go back into the hands of the pary that fought for the freedom of the people from the Zungus.

4. Absalom Mthinda says:

The problem with the Lhomwe tea and tobacco tenants is that they can vote for any fool as president as long as the person is a mulakho idiot because most of them have not been to school to think rationally. Even if they were to vote for a frog as president they would do it if that frog came from the Mulakho dambos.

5. Mphongozidana Ndau says:

Chaponda to lead this country, my foot. That will throwing this good poor country to the dogs.

6. Kodi what do you say “Chaponda mwala” in lomwe language? Chaponda funda ndi ndani in lomwe?

7. Mbili ya bakha says:

Mutu ngati hot dog. So as being old in the politics wat good have u done than sending all yo clan to western countries under our taxes u dunderhead. U think we don’t know u
    U even deleted my nieces name on sponsorship in america and put yo niece name. Hhha seen and being told by DC staff and Ntafu then in the top sit. And u in NY. Kkkkk
    Ikuululeni ????????
    Osamalankhula ngati nkhanga zisikuona. Nthawi xose
    Macende anu

8. mtumbuka says:

Asa mpaka chapola? Bolani saulos chilima. That’s my man

9. Ambele says:

now I know that Malawi will never go forward, I mean Chaponda for president ??
    kubetsatu, bola Saulosi or JB yemweuja

10. Jahan says:

Enough with these old dinasours…! The next president should be a young and ambitious person! Not THESE OLD TIRED THINGS that thinks Malawi is a place to retire!

11. Mjomba che Yahaya says:

Koma mpakanso Chaponda, mmmm, akhale mulomwe wachitatu kulamula dzikoli? Are we serious? Kodi DPP bwanji ili ndi khalidwe loswaya ma VP ake? Atleast Saulosi Chilima can do osati Chaponda wanu mukunenayo. Ine am a Yao by tribe, koma Atupele Muluzi anatikhumudwitsa anthu aku mmawa. He is such kind of a young man who doesnt want to promote his fellow youth. Ikumukanika constituency kwathu ku Machinga kuno, ndie mukati mumuyese pa mpando wa president, he will mess this country. Ine monga mbadwa komanso mfulu wa dziko lino, I propose that DPP should this time around try their VP.

12. Vilbett says:

Keep the Fire Burning Mr Chaponda
    Let the work of your hands speak.

13. Chambe says:

I thought DPP has to call for a convention and those with ambitions to stand in for Presidential Candidate for the general elections in 2019 have to be elected? If political parties lack democratic processes in electing their leaders, how do we expect them to respect such processes when they are leading the country?

14. Mbutuma Nyapapi says:

What really is the problem In Malawi, and dunderhead like this man wanting and believing he can be president of the country. Of course we have had fools like Makili and JB, but seriously from now onwards lets have someone educated and intelligent enough to formulate and enact development policies that will take this country forward. If this man rans for president, then I will move north and hope they form Nyikaland. And I am from South

15. Kenkkk says:

Where is the $400mn that India gave you? Have you dpp thieves cash gated it? Please let us investigate where this money is and how it was used.

16. Arran spring says:

400million???? What did you do with it????

17. vavlov says:

Malawi brace for even rougher times. Can you imagine Chaponda being president? Why should Malawi be ruled by another Lomwes? How senior was Chaponda at UN, I dont believe he could qualify to be UN secretary general, noway he appears quite dull to hold such a position. Please Chaponda dont bullshit illiterate Malawians

18. 2016 welcome says:

By the way, iwe Chaponda, not being dropped from cabinet is no way an indication of a performer. In Malawi anyone can become anything so long as you fit in the political party and tribal inclination criteria.

19. 2016 welcome says:

Nobody who worked for the UN or any other international organizations should not cheat us that they are here to help Malawi. They are here for easy money. Government money that is so easy to steal. The proof is simple; check their physical looks then and compare it with when they are close to government coffers. Things will tell on their own.

20. PeterMustFall says:

I thout u said the Lake issue is non negotiable..nde lero mukusintha ma statement…..Nyapaphi u r a Liar

21. United Democratic Fools says:

Tsono ife kachipani kaja ndiye tinasungunula and became blues ndiye khaya zitithela bwanji khaya koma chosadziwa chifukwa apa ndiye meter sitiyionansotu alomwe avuta pamalawi

22. Wokonda nkhani says:

Its lohmwe time and what about the deadly U.D.yelow?.ask them next week mr zodiak,will they be buried?.