WFP ready to respond to Malawi food crisis

The United Nations’ World Food Programme (WFP) says it is gearing up to respond to the worst food crisis in Malawi in a decade. This follows an appeal to the international humanitarian community made by the President of Malawi Peter Mutharika at the launch of the National Food Insecurity Response Plan on Monday.

WFP ready to respond to Malawi food crisis

WFP ready to respond to Malawi food crisis

According to latest Malawi Vulnerability Assessment Committee figures, more than 2.8 million people will face hunger in the coming lean season (October –March) following severe floods and drought that ruined this year’s harvest.

The floods early this year were the worst in living memory in Malawi, washing away homes and food stocks, and ruining fertile land.

Some crops managed to withstand the floods only to succumb to intense dry spells in the following months, making survival even more difficult for the most vulnerable.

In a statement the WFP representative Coco Ushiyama commends Malawi government for  contributing 26,600 metric tons of maize from its Strategic Grain Reserves to the relief response.

“We applaud the commitment of the government and development partners in times of increased global needs and appreciate swift support from those that have come forward early, especially the United States and Italy, to ensure that Malawi’s most vulnerable receive the life-saving support they desperately need,” says  Ushiyama.

Since the end of last year, WFP has provided relief assistance to avert hunger in households hit by poor rainfall during the 2013/14 growing season and the floods in early 2015.  This operation has already reached more than one million vulnerable people.

However WFP, which is financed entirely by voluntary contributions from governments, companies and private individuals, is currently less than 25 percent funded for the relief operation that lies ahead.

US$81 million is still required to meet the needs of the most vulnerable from next month to March 2016.

“Additional contributions are urgently needed,” says Ms. Ushiyama.  “We have an innovative toolbox to respond – including food and cash-based transfers.”

Ushiyama says a swift response is imperative to save children’s lives and prevent worsening undernutrition, particularly stunting among children.

“Stunting not only limits people’s growth, but also their cognitive development, and has far-reaching effects on health and productivity over a lifetime.”

A recent Cost of Hunger in Africa report for Malawi estimated that stunting, which at 42 percent is among the highest in the region, costs the nation nearly US$600 million annually.

“Additional funding of US$10 million is urgently needed for WFP to maintain school feeding, nutrition support and a refugee operation through March 2016.

“Both school feeding and nutrition support become even more important in times of food crisis, especially for women and girls who are the first to be pulled out of school or served smaller helpings at mealtimes,” reads the statement.

Follow and Subscribe Nyasa TV :

Please share this Article if you like Email This Post Email This Post

More From Nyasatimes

More From the World

2 thoughts on “WFP ready to respond to Malawi food crisis”

  1. Bandawe says:

    What food crisis??? No one is dying of hunger, we are a rich nation we can afford to take a huge entourage to New York for UNGA. Who said we are the poorest nation in the world? No no no no no that is just “bad publicity”

  2. Don’t give the authorities cash chonde chonde chonde zithela mmatumba of DPP.

Comments are closed.