About 50 people hospitalized after eating suspected poisoned meat

At least 50 people have been hospitalized at Mponela Rural and Madisi Mission Hospitals in Dowa Thursday August 30, after eating goat meat suspected to have been poisoned; Mponela Police spokesperson Kondwani Kandiado confirmed the incident.

Kandiado said the people, all from Chikhobwe Village T/A Chakhaza developed diarrhoea at around 7 PM soon after taking goat meat prepared by Grevazio Kamankodola, a farmer who also rears goats.

“Kamankodola’s she-goat got sick and so on Monday August 27, he prepared and sold the meat. He also shared some of it with some people from the village. The people were surprised they all developed diarrhoea,” said Kandiado.

He said the condition of those ate who the meat, whose age ranges from as young as one and as old as 64, got worse hence their admission to the two hospitals.

“Actually they were in a critical condition but are now improving after being attended to by the medical personnel,” said Kandiado, adding that police had to use force to drag one Mandebvu Yolamu who resisted being taken to hospital.

“He cited that his church does not allow him to go to hospitals and seek medical care but we had to force him together with his children to save their lives,” said the spokesperson.

Follow and Subscribe Nyasa TV :

Please share this Article if you like Email This Post Email This Post

More From the World

More From Nyasatimes