Chaponda denies being rushed to hospital, says not stressed but in robust health: ACB rules out investigating office fire

Embattled Minister of Agriculture, Irrigation and Water development George Chaponda has  denied speculation rife on social media that he had been whisked to Kamuzu Central Hospital after collapsing following the on going pressure that he is facing over the maizegate scandal.

Chaponda: I am not stressed

Chaponda phoned Nyasa Times reporter based in Lilongwe to refute what had gone viral on social media that he was taken to hospital when he collapsed with a coalition of stress as the main cause.

“There are reports on social media which are alleging that I have been admitted at Kamuzu Central Hospital. You may wish to know that I am in a very good health and am now busy preparing for my work of the day so tell them am in robust health,” said Chaponda.

Chaponda cited a report that said Zodiak radio  reporters were at the hospital “to get more information” after Chaponda was taken there for emergency treatment.

No ACB fire probe

Meanwhile, graft busters, the Anti-Corruption Bureau (ACB) has ruled out carrying special investigation to determine if the fire that gutted Chaponda’s office was arson attack to conceal evidence.

ACB director Lucas Kondowe said its investigations on Chaponda in connection with the infamous maizegate has not yet reached a level to determine there was some evidence in his office.

“Our investigations have not yet reached that evel. When we reach that level, we will know what to do,” he said.

However, some civil society groups have described the fire, that gutted down the office on Tuesday as suspicious.

Benedicto Kondowe, who is leading a consortium of the CSOs, said the fire raises a lot of questions than answers.

“The matter should be investigated to the latter,” he said.

The fire has raised eye brows, with some sections of society alleging it was an arson attack to conceal evidence in the maize saga.

However, Information minister Nicholas Dausi asked Malawians to be patient, saying they should let investigators do their job.

Secretary to Chaponda, Emmie Mawingo said the fire started from a socket which plugs a television screen in the minister’s office before it spread to other offices in the second floor of the Agriculture ministry headquarters at Capital Hill.

Follow and Subscribe Nyasa TV :

Please share this Article if you like Email This Post Email This Post

More From the World

Sort by:   newest | oldest | most voted
hahaha
Guest

Ulendo uno mulibemo mtonga womunamizira mboma mwanumo munya muona

Lero Wonamizira Wasowa
Guest
Lero Wonamizira Wasowa

Akanakhala Kasambara ali mboma bwezi mukumunamizila inu nkumanjoya. Koma munakamutsekera, ndiye pomwe munapusira inu a DPP pamenepo.

Munati muyesere kunamizira a Gondwe zinakukanikani, mwayiwala aGondwe ali owatsatira ambiri.

Likezio
Guest

This building could have been saved if fire fighters were there on time.by the way,umboni uja mun’kati ndalama zopotsera 9 billion zabedwa uja bwanji pa report palibe??? Mmmm Otsutsa nsanje yakula..muzinamiza akhwangwala anzanu.

fyson
Guest

lets wait for the trueth, u r talking much.

jezi
Guest

Bitch the man ix taking ds country into hs pant

MWENDANATO
Guest

THE TV SOCKET IS ONE OF THE LEAST AREAS TO SPARK SUCH EVEN THOUGH I AM NOT AN ELECTRICIAN BASING ON ALL ELECTRICAL FIRE REPORTS WE HAVE HAD OR HEARD OF IN MALAWI. EMMIE MIND YOU UFELA ZAENI BETTER SHUT UP YOUR MOUTH

The Partriot
Guest

Its good that you are in robust health sir, actually we wish you a long life so that you will be able to stand trial for the maizegate and other cases.
Long live George Chaponda!!! Long live maizegate!!

Chipwirikiti Mudziko
Guest

Did the secretary see the fire starting at the socket? Why not alert people in the office(s) at that time. She has been told to lie.

Ajmal
Guest

if my memory saves me better this office was also burnt when Chakufwa was a minister. should we conclude that chihana by then wanted to destroy any kind of evidence? or the room is faulty?

Dipipi wa Yudiefu
Guest

Of all the 18 million people in Malawi let alone those who have offices all over this country, the fire caused by a socket should only happen at Chaponda’s office. What a coincidence! We also hear that at the time the fire started burning, Chaponda had not returned from a break at Parliament. Where had he gone to?

wpDiscuz

More From Nyasatimes