Chitipa United through to Round of 16 of the Carlsberg Cup

Super League debutants Chitipa United are through to the round of 16 in the Carlsberg Cup after beating Nchalo United 3-2 on post match penalties in a game played at Mzuzu Stadium on Thursday before a sizeable crowd.

Chitipa United through

Chitipa United, who looked favourites on paper, were the first to terrorize their opponents’ goal area, very early in the game, when Happy Phiri’s thunderous shot from the left of the 18 metre box was tipped over the cross bar by goalkeeper Davie Pashani.

Nchalo United quickly settled into the game but their long balls into Chitipa United’s defending area were often obviously well read and dealt with by Chitipa United defenders.

However, 12 minutes into the game Tony Biasi broke through on the right flank and raced towards the goal line before curving the ball inside as a cross which eventually hit the far upright and ricocheted into Chitipa United’s net. 1 nil to Nchalo United.

In the 23rd minute, Tony Biasi was at it again when he accurately headed the ball into Chitipa United’s net only to discover that assistant referee Lameck Phiri’s flag was up for off side forcing referee Alfred Aziz Nyirenda to deny him his brace.

Chitipa United’s hard work paid in the 30th minute when Khumbo Banda’s hard and low shot from way out first landed into goalkeeper Davie Pashani’s stretched palms but forcefully ended up into the net.

It was one all at half time.

In the second half, it was Nchalo United who created more chances than Chitipa United and could get even three or four goals but Tony Biasi, Samuel Dzowa and Osman Balala were so wasteful when facing the goal mouth.

Full regulation time, 90 minutes could not separate the two sides as they were tied at 1-1 and so penalties remained elusive.

Herbert Biasi, brother to Nchalo United’s loan scorer Tony Biasi, stepped up to take their first spot kick which goalkeeper Lloyd Munthali brilliantly saved.

When Khumbo Banda stepped up to take Chitipa United’s first penalty kick, the ball hit the cross bar.

Goalkeeper Lloyd Munthali for Chitipa United went on to save Nchalo United’s third and fifth spot kicks taken by Evance Napolo and Felix Kamwendo respectively. It was Masa Gemu and Mada Chiume who scored past him in their second and fourth respective penalties.

Captain Abel Mwakilama, Mwango Phiri and Edward Chilalika scored the last three penalties for Chitipa United.

After the penalties, it was Chitipa United 3 and Nchalo United 2.

Speaking after the game, General Secretary for Nchalo United, Enock Whayo Maseko, accepted defeat and said it was not their day as his players lost concentration at some point to allow Chitipa United equalize.

The winning coach Kondwani Toots Mwalweni said it was a relief to win the cup game to reach the round of sixteen. He praised his goalkeeper for saving three penalties.

“It told my boys to work hard in this game following our poor form in the league. We will try our best to go as far as we can in this tournament,” added Mwalweni.

Follow and Subscribe Nyasa TV :

Sharing is caring!

Follow us in Twitter
Read previous post:
Mzuzu City Council accused of hiring Nissan March for its Mayor

Chibanja Ward Councillor Charles Mlogera has accused Mzuzu City Council of hiring a Nissan March vehicle for its mayor describing...