Chitipa Utd crumble against Mzuni FC: Malawi TNM Super League

In a game that indicated Chitipa United were playing at home against Mzuni FC at Mzuzu Stadium on Sunday, United suffered a humiliating 1-2 defeat and coach Kondwani  Mwalweni described Misheck Juwa’s  officiation as “rubbish”.

Mzuni FC
Chitipa United

A minute silence was observed before kick off, in honour of Be Forward Wanderers Chairperson, George Chamangwana, whose body was being laid to rest on this same Sunday.

Just four minutes into the game, Lazurus Deco Nyemera’s well curved and powerful free kick hit the left upright before goalkeeper Lloyd Munthali tried to palm it away but Lughindiko Mhlane was in time to finish the ball into United’s net to give the Green Intellectuals an early lead.

Five minutes later, Timothy Silwimba made a long clearance on the left, five metres away from the half way line in his own half. The ball found Gift Kasambara upfront who after tussling with a Chitipa United defender, managed to beat goalkeeper Lloyd Munthali from very close range. 2 nil to Mzuni FC.

Chitipa United came back into the game towards the end of the first half. They pulled one back in the very last minute of the first half through Wacheta Mwenifumbo after a goalmouth scramble resulting from a well taken corner kick. 2-1.

In the second half, Chitipa United came flat out to equalize and win the match. They enjoyed much possession and fiercely took the game into Mzuni’s defending third but they were so wasteful in front of goal.

In the 54th minute, Chitipa United’s dread rocked Emmanuel Muyira broke through but all alone, ballooned the ball over the cross bar.

In the 66th minute, another fierce attack by Chitipa United caused havoc for Mzuni defence but three consecutive shots were blocked by Mzuni defenders, the last one resulting into a corner which never paid dividends.

Chitipa United coach, Kondwani Toots Mwalweni, was ordered to leave the bench by referee Misheck Juwa in the 72nd minute when he charged and accused him of favouring Mzuni FC. He had to follow the rest of the proceedings from the terraces.

2-1 it ended in favour of Mzuni after 90 minutes.

Speaking after the match, Mwalweni said Mzuzu officiating panel was rubbish and the day’s officiation was total trash.

“The referee gave Mzuni the first goal. For me that was a clear off side. I will not say much but you must know that we have always been playing away. I will make my stand clear when we start playing our home games at Karonga Stadium probably in the second round because in Mzuzu, long travel and poor officiation is costing us a lot,” charged Mwalweni.

Assistant Coach for Mzuni FC, Ogrieve Macnebert Kazuwa, said it was a tough game but it felt good to collect maximum points.

“It’s true we struggled in the second half because one of our central midfielders went upfront completely, leaving Deco Nyemera alone. I will not comment much on the referees. This game was handled by highly ranked referees and if Chitipa are complaining, that’s how they saw things,” added Kazuwa.

This result leaves Chitipa United still anchoring the log table with 5 points from thirteen games while the Green Intellectuals are on position 11 with 15 points from eleven games.

Follow and Subscribe Nyasa TV :

Sharing is caring!

Follow us in Twitter
Read previous post:
Malawi touted at Japan-Africa Business Forum as ideal investment destination

Malawi has been touted as a country that has  enthusiasm for investment with Minister of Trade and Industry Henry Mussa appealing...