Mchinji District Commissioner Richard Hara on Saturday met businessmen and other protesters and admitted some council officials were stealing council funds.
This was a u turn on his earlier statement last week when he said at a news conference council funds are not stolen.
“We have indeed many thieves here who are abusing the council money. They even sign cheques in my absence and cash the money without my authority and knowledge,” he said.
Karonga District Council and Mchinji District Council have been hit by a wave of protests as residents took to the streets protesting against abuse of funds by council officials.
This has led to the arrest of seven officials from Karonga District Council but Hara had all along been on the defence of the council officials.
He accused those in the accounts department as responsible for the public money thefts.
The protesters, for example, demanded an explanation on why the budget for the installation of street lights has ballooned from K45 million to K70 million.
Spokesperson for the businessmen and other protesters who included kabaza riders and residents, Wilson Maluwa told the district commissioner the protests would be suspended until a full audit report is out by next week Tuesday.
The protesters put the stolen money at K100 million.