The government has finally cancelled the K7 billion maize purchase from Ukraine in what government officials say the agreement had serious problems.
This follows press reports last week that indicated donors warned the government that the ‘middleman’ on the maize purchase could not be relied upon.
Finance ministry spokesperson Nations Msowoya confirmed on Sunday the government has cancelled the purchase of the 100000 metric tonnes of maize from Ukraine.
“The agreement had several problems and the government is looking elsewhere,” said Msowoya but he could not divulge more details.
Malawians expressed surprise and concern from the word go that the government was using middlemen to look for maize as far as Ukraine, saying this smacked of corruption and bribery.
However, Finance minister Goodall Gondwe backed the middleman and said the maize would start coming into the country this month up to March next year.
Some donors expressed concern that the middleman would receive payment and disappear.
At least six million Malawians are in need of relief food.